1994 GT Psyclone Updated 8-16 New Photos

Re: 1994 GT Psyclone Dream Project

lewisfoto":p4m1lob3 said:
I agree I miss you too...

just because that Avalanche is so f'n awesome

I meant literally, I used to own that very bike pictured. (less the fork and stem) I had a few very nice (gentle) rides on her.. and I'm glad she went to a good home. :)

I love your Psyclone frame, that will be sweet.

Little progress on the Psyclone because I have been busy at work. I did get a Christmas bonus so now I can afford parts.

Weighed the frame at 4 pounds 10 ounces and 6 pounds 9 ounces frame and fork.

Steven

A few new pics,

Sometimes having too many bike parts can pay off and thus the "gift" came about when I found a really nice clamp on XT I had forgotten about. And not only was the correct clamp size but a top pull as well. Like I say fate.

Next came a very good buy on a XTR m900 rear mech off of the bay. It is not perfect, but from a distance it looks very presentable.

Sorting out the seatpost was more of a challenge than expected mainly because of the dearth of choice for high quality 27.0 posts. I had the Dura Ace post shown here but th only way I could get enough reach for my long legs was with a tall saddle like the Turbo shown. I felt that the Turbo was too "80s" for this bike so the search continued. Lucky for me Ductape had a sweet Answer Rocker post and now I have a Flite saddle on the way....

Steven

Attachments

• Psyclone build 1 web.jpg
    Psyclone build 1 web.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Psyclone build 3 web.jpg
    Psyclone build 3 web.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 330
  • Psyclone build 2 web.jpg
    Psyclone build 2 web.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 330
Re: 1994 GT Psyclone Progress At Last

Slow progress to say the least.

Well I finally got some bits sorted with the Psyclone, mainly deciding that I would not go with a boutique build but a pretty straight forward Shimano set up. This of course freed up a lot of time and money as I already own most of the parts to finish the bike, shy of the crankset which I think must be M900.

So a little work cleaning over the weekend of the black XT brakes, levers and thumbies as well as installing a Logic headset that I found in a drawer meant I could get my first look at what the final bike may look like.

Wheelset will have to be taken apart as the rims are shot but I have a NOS set of Mavic 217s, also most likely will get set of repop Farmer Johns from First Flight.

Lastly I bought a NOS GT branded saddle only to discover that it is both too new and perhaps too low end for my purposes.

Steven

Attachments

• GT saddle 1 web.jpg
    GT saddle 1 web.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 281
  • Psyclone build 1 web.jpg
    Psyclone build 1 web.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Psyclone build 2 web.jpg
    Psyclone build 2 web.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 281
  • Psyclone build 8 web.jpg
    Psyclone build 8 web.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Psyclone build 5 web.jpg
    Psyclone build 5 web.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 277

looking great so far! definately keep the flite saddle on it!

At least you are faster than me with my Psyclone. ;)

I like the GT stem but strongly recommend a black one to match the fork.

Please do go with the Flite.

The seatpost has a bit too much decals. But maybe that s just the angle.

Starting to look like a bike!

Sourced a few more XTR M-900 bits including a chainset and brake shifters, with the same wheelset as seen above to get an idea of the final look. The wheels will be taken apart so I can use the hubs with some NOS rims that I have on hand. Plus will most likely get a set of repop Farmer Johns from First Flight as well as some NOS GT grips.

Attachments

• Psyclone Build 3 web.jpg
    Psyclone Build 3 web.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Psyclone Build 4 web.jpg
    Psyclone Build 4 web.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Psyclone Build 1 web.jpg
    Psyclone Build 1 web.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 217

Beautiful. I didn't know psyclones were steel - thought they were aluminum like the Zaskars. I have a bike built up with an early version of the GT Edge frame in steel, and your bike reminds me of a mountain bike version of my roadie.

Back