1993 Scott Pro Racing - Holey Chainstays

MSYT

Retro Guru
Morning all.

Thought I’d start this thread to get some input. I picked this frame up a couple of years ago from a member here. I thought I’d found a ‘Team’ a while before so when this ‘Pro’ came up I grabbed it.

Really nice Ritchey tubed frame. Awesome. It was a little beat up with a tonne of stone chips to the chainstays but it didn’t look too bad tbh!

Fast forward a couple of years and I’ve collected all the bits for a build. A complete XTR group, a spotless XTR seatpost, the original SRP fork, Ritchey WCS bars and pedals - it’s looking good. I decided to have the frame blasted and Cerakoted and grabbed some decals from Gil. I realise the decals aren’t the fluro original now though.

Anyway - last night I go to take a pic of the serial number and realise there is a hole in the chainstay. Poking that hole then made it bigger. There’s also a small pin hole in the other chainstay too. It’s something I never noticed until now.

Looking back at old video I can see what could be a hole but it blends in to the stone chips so well.

Considering this is going to be some lightweight tubing and the frame has clearly had water sitting in the chainstays for it to rust inside out… the frame is toast right? I’d wanted to build this to ride and possibly race it at the Cannock Classics but now - I’m wondering how much the rust has weakened it.

Attachments

• IMG_7075.png
    IMG_7075.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7074.png
    IMG_7074.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7073.png
    IMG_7073.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7072.png
    IMG_7072.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7069.jpeg
    IMG_7069.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7070.jpeg
    IMG_7070.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7071.jpeg
    IMG_7071.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 30
Since your planned was to get it stripped anyway, I reckon speak to @danson67

I have a frame which had similar holes and Dan did a fantastic repair on it.

Since your planned was to get it stripped anyway, I reckon speak to @danson67

I have a frame which had similar holes and Dan did a fantastic repair on it.

It’s already been stripped, Cerakoted and new decals 🤦‍♂️ That definitely blew open the holes and made them more apparent after fixing all the stone chips.

It’s already been stripped, Cerakoted and new decals 🤦‍♂️ That definitely blew open the holes and made them more apparent after fixing all the stone chips.

Ah ok. Well I guess that might be the worst of the damage then, if no-one noticed it when it was stripped?

Back