1993 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

RockiMtn":386to5nr said:
anyone know if the braces are interchangeable with earlier year XC forks? i'm thinking XC500 should work for sure. curious about XC400 and earlier. some of them look a little sleeker and less bulky.

You are right, the braces between XC500 and XC600/700 should be interchangeable, I can check in detail, if needed. The older ones won't fit, they have other dimensions.
Do you need one (XC500)?

BULLSHIT! I had to edit this post, because it is wrong.

By thinking about this 2 mm and the stanchion tubes (XC500 = 24mm and XC600/XC700=26mm by same distance in the axle) it is clear, that this will not fit.

Very bad day for 'Dr_Marzocchi' ... should give the 'Dr.' back ... :-/

Sorry, Frank!

so some more cockpit options… Race Face Ti clamp on ahead stem, and a Syncros Pro Series Ti bar. thanx to shutter for reluctantly giving these up while i strong arm him! ;) it took weeks (months?) to wear him down! :LOL:

undecided what to use on the Merlin and what to use on the Thunderbolt. think i'll keep the RF quill style ahead stem on the Merlin and use the clamp style on the Thunderbolt. As for the Syncros Ti bar, think i'll mount that on the Merlin, and stick with the black Syncros Hardcore i already ear-marked for the Thunderbolt.

Attachments

• DSC06236.JPG
    DSC06236.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC06239.JPG
    DSC06239.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC06238.JPG
    DSC06238.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 360
hanger showed up! :D must say it looks the part, fit's okay, and should do the job. just hope it has the proper forward offset so the cable is in line with the brakes. if i don't source a proper replacement XC500 brace, i'm good with leaving this as is.

Attachments

• DSC06244.JPG
    DSC06244.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC06241.JPG
    DSC06241.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC06240.JPG
    DSC06240.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 338
Tidy solution.

Is the hanger slotted to stop it from rotating when the cable is pulled? Sorry for my ignoance.

Not slotted. If you look at the prev pics I posted, you'll see there are a couple thick washers with teeth. They're too thick for me to use with the brace. Not sure at the moment if the hanger will pivot. May need to add a thinner lock washer of it does, but from what I can tell right now is that just bolting it may suffice.

back to the drawing board. looks like the offset of the hanger is too forward, coupled with the raised mount on the brace, the cable line won't line up with the brakes. even if i ground off the mount on the brace, the hanger arch looks to be still too far forward. so options are:

• 1) cut a slot at the top of the brace, and mount the hanger behind it (not sure if that will affect the structural integrity of the brace)
  • 2) fabricate a custom hanger that sits in front/top of the brace and mounts over the current raised mount point. (preserving the brace)
  • 3) continue to look for a replacement XC500 brace

:cry:

Back