Derek Bailey Rocky Mountain

I saw this article, thanks for posting it. I have a Sherpa-branded mountain bike which I believe is an '85 model, but obviously they produced ones with the RM badging as well. I'm getting confused......
I've seen a few Sherpa branded bikes locally on CraigsList and always thought they pre-dated the Rockymountain brand, but maybe not. That was in part because most of the ones I've seen have been road bikes. I think the fact they named one of their earliest mountain bikes the Sherpa doesn't help either.

Obviously, they really liked the term Sherpa.

That's right, I've seen at least one local road bike branded as a Sherpa, with similar paint to my Super Scooter mountain version. I believe these early Rockies were produced by Sherpa Engineering, hence the name. It would be great to really nail down the timeline on these.

I was curious about the Sherpa Super Scooter and this is what came up with when I googled.

Roy seems well connected with the old Vancouver mountain bike scene. He may be able to answer your questions.

I just tried to fit a Magic Motorcycle BB to this frame, and found that the BB shell is oversize in diameter. I've never come across this before.

I just tried to fit a Magic Motorcycle BB to this frame, and found that the BB shell is oversize in diameter. I've never come across this before.
Italian threads I suspect. Learned this a couple years ago after picking up some Syncros Titanium BB bits at the swap meet only to learn the cups were too big for the intended bike. Always though the difference was only that one cup was not reverse thread with Italian vs English but the diameter is slightly bigger with Italian

Thanks. It was pretty fun to see it all shiny again. Another forum post led me to trying a bit of pledge furniture spray polish on the red section to try and rejuvenate the sheen and it worked pretty good as well.

Not too sure if it’s been built up as of yet. It’s now in Alberta with a RM enthusiast. Wouldn’t mind finding another one in my size one day 😂
I still haven’t done anything with it yet and trying to figure out parts for it. I have a bunch of old 105 and 600 but need to sort proper wheels.

That's right, I've seen at least one local road bike branded as a Sherpa, with similar paint to my Super Scooter mountain version. I believe these early Rockies were produced by Sherpa Engineering, hence the name. It would be great to really nail down the timeline on these.
I have a 1984 Sherpa Touring 2 which was made in Japan by Miki. I also have a 1984 Sherpa mountain bike that was also made in Japan I believe Toyo. Both bikes have same Rocky Sherpa decals on down tubes. tempImagejnUdcu.jpg tempImagekmKy6E.jpg

I still haven’t done anything with it yet and trying to figure out parts for it. I have a bunch of old 105 and 600 but need to sort proper wheels.
Nice! The cursed wheel hunt 😂 I’ve got the same problem. Sounds fun once that rolls around. Guessing it’ll fit a bit nicer than that Sherpa road? That’s a really sweet bike too!

Back