1993 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

Re:

True dat,,if you flip the wheel you can get them bang on,,honestly I build them a bit to the left,I think it makes a stronger wheel,,,Nice T bolt,,I don't have one,,Boo,,,but I do have a Tantalus

Re: Re:

mrdryskull":2t60k4o6 said:
True dat,,if you flip the wheel you can get them bang on,,honestly I build them a bit to the left,I think it makes a stronger wheel,,,Nice T bolt,,I don't have one,,Boo,,,but I do have a Tantalus

Tantalus… you don't say? Care to share some pics? :)

Re:

Syncros forks make a good truing stand. That's what mine are now used for. I was thinking of doing something with them to allow rears to be trued on them.

Re:

FluffyChicken":3tzrvbun said:
Syncros forks make a good truing stand. That's what mine are now used for. I was thinking of doing something with them to allow rears to be trued on them.
bit of a waste of a powerlite fork, don't you think? :?

after loose lacing the rear, i started to relace the front. had it all swapped in and then discovered that several of the original spokes were different lengths by signficant amounts. :facepalm:

with barely the experience/confidence to build wheels with proper length spokes, definately won't attempt to rebuild with mis-matched ones. so i've torn it down. thought i could get away with using the original spokes to save some $ since wheels looked to have gotten very little use.

so now i'll have to order and wait to get new spokes, may do the rear as well while i'm at it. wasted quite a bit of time in this already in hunting for similar profile rims and relacing and i got nothing to show for it so far… so sad! :(

Attachments

• DSC00143.JPG
    DSC00143.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC00141.JPG
    DSC00141.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 476
Re:

I assume they are not spokes intended for the two different lengths for the rear?

btw better to use the powerlites for something useful than leave them till a long threaded steerer turns up... Or I get around to replacing the steerer only.

nope, i have enough sense to have kept all the spokes with the appropriate wheel, flange side, as well as insertion direction. ;) puzzles me how someone builds a wheel with mismatched spoke lengths for a symmetrically built front wheel. only thing i can think of is perhaps the wheel was repaired and a few shorter spokes got used, but i highly doubt that given how little wear is on the rim. then again there was the big flat spot on the rear rim which got me down this path in the first place! :? :evil:

RockiMtn":36znjlyv said:
nope, i have enough sense to have kept all the spokes with the appropriate wheel, flange side, as well as insertion direction. ;) puzzles me how someone builds a wheel with mismatched spoke lengths for a symmetrically built front wheel. only thing i can think of is perhaps the wheel was repaired and a few shorter spokes got used, but i highly doubt that given how little wear is on the rim. then again there was the big flat spot on the rear rim which got me down this path in the first place! :? :evil:

Wish I would have seen that flat spot when I bought the Bike from the original owner, but just like you, I was so dazzled by the Ti hubs I didn't even notice it :?

Nice choice on replacement hoops, I have the same gold ones on my 92' Vertex

Re:

There just flimsy rims which is why they flat spot and dent so easily.

Had a few back in the day. One is still going and have them on my Pace at the moment iirc. They work nicely once the Ti-Bronze colour has worn off.

Is there a build competition now with RM Titanium's :)

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":6pxby688 said:
They work nicely once the Ti-Bronze colour has worn off.

Yea!!! be careful... The other day I took my Vertex out for a spin... (has the exact same hoops in NOS condition) it was in the cool air conditioned house... it was 30 degrees Celsius outside... as soon as I brought it outside the bike immediatly became covered in condensation...

I didn't think much of it... so off I rode... so... I was riding along... and was like "Ah, a stop sigh... I'll just put on the brakes...."... NOTHING!... the brakes did NOTHING! .... I didn't even slow down... just kept on rolling right through...

Until you wear through some of that anno you will have ZERO braking in wet weather... beware :!:

Re:

been very inactive with all my bikes, so finally prodded myself to complete replicating this last set of artwork to print all the decals i need for my collection. thx goes out to Retro_Roy for some pics/measurements of his Thunderbolt decals, and to jimbotoad for providing a scan of the "Hand Built" decal. ;)

Attachments

• RM-Thunderbolt.jpg
    RM-Thunderbolt.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 389

Latest posts

Back