1993 Raleigh Activator 2

My first 'mountain bike', when I was 12, was a Peugeot Ranger.
Some strange Peugeot tubing, steel rims, steel stem, bars, seatpost and chainset. 15 stupidly high gears, Lee Chi cantis with leathery blocks. Tyres with no grip and saddle the size of my head.

I rode and rode and rode and carried and carried that bike everywhere, although I honestly think it might have weighed more than I did. I even carried that horror up Snowdon and rode it down again.

I have no desire to own one again EVER, though it turned me into a beast of a man.

Ok, so i said i was gonna raid the spare parts bin and see if i can breath some life into my 'Extremely Desirable' ;) Activator 2.

Here it is;

Ok the wheels were off my Saracen originally, but then went onto my Mongoose IBOC until the Frame & Forks got sold so they were just gathering dust in my workshop. Sling on some Red-Line Tyres and already it was starting to look a little bit thereabouts. Some new bars and Shimano Combi Brake/Gear levers improved the stopping of this beast and the Tioga grips help you hang on for dear life lol :shock:
The Stem and Forks came from an old Ridgeback i had rusting away and the saddle was a cheap little number from my local bike shop. (Was not gonna break the bank with this build!!!) It now weighs considerably less than it did in its original guise and actually rides quiet nice, I kept the Canti brakes as they work pretty well, but added some new Jagwire blocks, no trip to A&E for me.......

So are you ready??? Well here it is......Drum Roll Please!!!!!!

Taaaaaa Daaaaaaa...........

Attachments

• DSCF3107ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    DSCF3107ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 962
  • DSCF3108ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    DSCF3108ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 962
  • DSCF3111ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    DSCF3111ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 962
Before :cry: And After :p

Attachments

• DSCF3107ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    DSCF3107ActivatorTransformation.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 961
  • DSCF3099Activator2.JPG
    DSCF3099Activator2.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 961
:shock: It actually looks more like a bike than BSO now :LOL:

If you change the chainset for something like alivio/stx (cheap enough) you take atleast another lb off the weight :D
Also find a cheapo "flex" stem, should match up well to the rear "travel" :LOL:

Enter it in the next available BOTM - I double dare you. Who knows, you may get a pleasant surprise on how many votes it gets.

Neil":2hpri19k said:
Enter it in the next available BOTM - I double dare you. Who knows, you may get a pleasant surprise on how many votes it gets.

No votes - its not a restoration or an authentic rebuild...

Fnarrr!

legrandefromage":22unxhnc said:
Neil":22unxhnc said:

No votes - its not a restoration or an authentic rebuild...

Fnarrr!

Bah Humbug legrandefromage!!! but i am glad to see you are keeping tabs on this thread, was starting to think you had lost interest???? Anyway i take it from your comment you like my bike????

Im sure its not on par with any of your 'Winning; rides, but for fun factor its a winner everytime, and stands proud alongside my other rides :)

Back