1993 Marin Bear Valley SE

First time post on this site as I came across this Bear Valley SE thread with interest as I have a Bear Valley SE!

I think I bought it in 1994 from new and took a great deal of time choosing this bike, which is still going strong after many thousands of miles.

In that time I have only had to replace:

The rear wheel
The bottom bearings/pedal bearings
The pedals to Deore XT which I did quite early as I mashed the originals!

I will take a picture of mine and put it up, I still have the receipt somewhere so will dig that out and post it up, plus the user manual somewhere also.

IIRC the Bear Valley was around £400-£450 and the Bear Valley SE, although looking almost identical was over £600 new.

The biggest difference apart from the uprated group set, was the frame which is considerably lighter than the standard Bear Valley, this was the main reason I chose this bike.

They are very good bikes, not sure if yours is older or newer than mine, although it is in very good condition as opposed to mine which is well used.

To get one for £20 in this condition is a great buy, they are very tough and have a great frame for feedback.

I'll dig out some pics!

Amazing, how lucky you are, mint condition.... :eek:

I like the previous look bro, the girvin and lizard was annoying IMO, sorry have to say that..... :(

This is what I have but in blue. Same graphics with the wraparound pinstripe tape. 'afterburners' on rear forks. Yours is like new ( : Does it have gloss finished head and seat post top , dropout areas and satin for the bulk of the frame paint?
I thought it was a 94 model? Have you got a frame number there so I can compare? It is masked out under the BBS beside the made in taiwan sticker ( :

PIGEON":19cwrt1t said:
Tracked down this bike last night on the interwebz, sent the guy an email with my phone number and this morning he woke me up with a call to tell me I could pick it up tonight. So I made the trip to collect the bike, an hour by train there and an hour back, but I think it was definitely worth it.
The ad said the bike was hardly used, but then every ad says that so the condition of the bike is still always a surprise. The paint is pretty much unscratched, only some of the decals have some damage.. Might want to replace those some time. I had all kinds of wild plans for the bike (geared hub, disc brake in the front) but the bike is in such good (and original- even the tyres are still original and hardly worn) condition, I'm not sure about those things now.
Anyway here's a picture (wrong side I know), I'll make some nicer ones when I take it out for a ride!

mbvj.jpg

Fabulous Pics you know how to handle a camera ( ;

Mine was a Muirwoods btw not a Bear Valley but similar.
My chain set was Shimano Alivio rear, altus A20 front, and DOTEK chain wheel decal on rhs pedal webbing and pedals [dotek pro4- 170 on inside of pedal].

My Frame number for the Muirwoods of similar paint schema in blue is:

W73 DA 0425 located on the base of the BBS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58681753@N06/5379598196/

PIGEON":36bhcis3 said:
I took it out for a little ride today and I really had a blast. I'm used to riding roadbikes so I have to get used to some things (straight handlebars, the sound of the knobbly tyres and the lack of speed- although it was quite relaxing just cruising along for a bit). The brakes work perfectly and the shifting is spot on, still perfectly indexed after 17 years.

The Bear Valley SE is indeed a better version of the Bear Valley, placed directly below the Nail Trail. (I'm really just quoting the catalogue here, I have no knowledge of Marins or in fact any MTB whatsoever :p ) My bike has a mix of Exage and Deore LX: the hubs, brakes and cranks are Exage and the brake levers and everything in the shifting department is Deore LX. I wonder why though, as the catalogue doesn't seem to mention Exage parts for the Bear Valley SE anywhere.

I took some pictures for those interested :)

mbv1.jpg

mbv2.jpg

mbv3.jpg

mbv4.jpg

mbv5.jpg

Wow - these Marins are in great condition.

I have a 93 Bear Valley that's looking a bit tired now.

Great ride still though - but set up for road use at the moment, as the bike is quite light and fully rigid.

IMG00118-20110205-1156.jpg

Fantastic find in great shape and respectable groupo. Crank looks solid enough too. I would also molest it as little as possible IMHO.

Back