1993 Lotus Sport Monocoque

I hope I don't disappoint. I am carefully considering colour choices for the headset and some other parts as it would be so easy for me to overdo it and spoil it.

Re: Re:

PeachyPM":st0okvo5 said:
Anyone who says he can get an immaculate super smooth finish straight from the gun/can is fooling themselves.

*Ahem*...

No colour sanding (you can't, it's metallic), no lacquer sanding, light polish, done in my garage with rattle cans. Seen by plenty at Iconoclassic, and it is that good all over.

:xmas-big-grin:

Re:

Had a spare couple of hours this afternoon and as the Lotus frame has been in the warm of the house for the past week I thought I'd risk starting colour sanding, so did the first pass with 1000 grit. Looking good so far.

46420779411_f1cd00fc36_c.jpg

Re: Re:

My_Teenage_Self":3tkl7g1y said:
PeachyPM":3tkl7g1y said:
Anyone who says he can get an immaculate super smooth finish straight from the gun/can is fooling themselves.

*Ahem*...

No colour sanding (you can't, it's metallic), no lacquer sanding, light polish, done in my garage with rattle cans. Seen by plenty at Iconoclassic, and it is that good all over.

:xmas-big-grin:

I’ve seen this Trek a few times over the years and I have to admit - it does look as good in day light and up close as it does in the pics above

Going to re-read the build thread as the banter over weight was as entertaining and the build well thought/planned

Re:

Six coats of Clearcoat applied yesterday. Very happy with the results. All the colour sanding paid off as there is very little orange peel and it should only need a polish with compound and a wax to bring out the shine.

45804493344_15be73f764_c.jpg

The obsidian black works well as the very fine metal flake is very subtle and shows off the curves of the frame well

45804492334_02a03c11dc_c.jpg

Just got to let it cure in the house for a week before polishing the clearcoat

It’ll be worth the wait....

Re:

Machine and hand polished the frame today and starting to look good. The glossier the finish gets the more it shows up area's that need more elbow grease :roll: so may have a good few hours yet of polishing (black really shows up everything :shock: ) but very happy to have done it myself as it's all part of the bonding process.

45702350005_3d375bcd61_c.jpg

2 packages sent off this week..one to Acorn Anodising and one to the Nitrider's so can't wait to get those parts back. Still searching for a gold 8 speed cassette. Modern shimano's can't be nitrided as they have plastic spacers between the cogs that would melt so may have to swallow my pride, open my wallet and get an XTR M900 cassette (but not NOS..have you seen the prices!!)

Loving this.... I know photos sometimes flatter, but even so, this is looking superb.

Back