1993 KHS Montana Pro, virtually catalogue spec :D

FluffyChicken":39lys740 said:
SPD pedals PD-M737 if you go that way are a hefty 1.14lb to add on so err...
modern cheap lightweight spd compats are around 300g so 0.66lb
They are quite hefty!

I didn't win the M737 SPD's I was biding on, they went for £55 posted

Would be nice to have a set of 737's to be period correct, but as you say the modern ones are a lot lighter, might have some @ work that weigh 225g :D

Edit: 2000th post!

Update with DX wheelset, with customary shoddy pics too ;)

Spec list
True Temper OXII tubing
Mag20 fork with Mag21 canti bridge
Zoom stem
Amoeba Titanium bars
Cube sponge lock on grips
Kalloy Uno seatpost (date stamped 07.94)
Bontrager Ti saddle
XT M736 front mech
DX hubs with Mavic 217 Sup rims with DB spokes
Chainset & rings TBC (To Be Changed...)
Alivio canti brakes, gave the front one a quick polish & it's come up quite well, very M900 ish lol
M095 brake levers with shifter pods removed for now (until M735 rear mech arrives)
Tioga Psycho 1.95" tyres TBC (To Be Changed...)
Clarks white outer cabling and silver ferrules
No pedals on this build yet.

5325107732_052fac1114_b.jpg

5324510661_8027bc04b2_b.jpg

5325114598_f405128ff3_b.jpg

5325112798_a36c301ec5_b.jpg

5325110420_6f60dce4fc_b.jpg

Sub 24lb :shock: mind you that is without pedals ;) and a lighter much shinier chainset that should be on the bike soon :)

Looking good Andy, nice wheels they have knocked a fair chunk off the overall weight havent they?

Wow that weight has come down nicely.

There's a chunk in that chainset too, if its still the strongarm one. Can't make out from the pics.

I want that saddle and post. Fancy a swap for my right arm?

chrisv40":1hty3em9 said:
Looking good Andy, nice wheels they have knocked a fair chunk off the overall weight havent they?
Cheers, even in the crappy pics it looks a lot better than before

The old wheels were quite heavy, the tyres are I suspect wire bead and pretty heavy too, it's now back to it's original fighting weight :LOL:

With flat LX pedals it still comes in under 25lb (24.7 IIRC), that'll change once I re-gear the bike though, depending on how singlespeeding goes...

New wheelset has regular supermarket special tubes in them, I might get some lighter ones sometime, and I've just ordered some (brand) new 1.8 tyres for it ;)

Just has a quick spin round the block, very nippy & quite nimble, although a little flexy, the bar has plenty of trail buzz killing properties judging by how soft the front end felt, I think it might be a rather nice bike to ride ;)

Had trouble popping the front end up as I'm not used to the stem length being longer than on my other bikes :oops:

Think I am under geared with the ratio I have at the moment, but that can change with either the chainrings I have coming, or the sprockets that I already have.

It's 34/18 at the mo & I was spinning out quite easily on the flat, I will try 34/16 later and see how that goes, although my hilll climbing skills may require the 34/18 :(

Brakes kinda work OK, but with a bit of squeal from the front, but no major issues, can pull skids, so what more do you need :LOL:

Rear hub sounds a bit dry, I'll investigate this later, runs smoothly with no play so probably just a regrease & it'll be as silky smooth as the front hub

Once the cranks & rings arrive the frame will be thoroughly cleaned & a good coat of Autoglym polish will be applied, the rear brakes will be stripped down, cleaned & given a quick polish to match the front brake that I had a quick polish of a few nights ago.

Headset seems to be ok after loosening the nuts off a tad, I will strip, clean & inspect it later before cleaning & final assembly

New tyres arrived today so new pics will be up later this evening, if my camera battery has any charge left!

Back