My '93 KHS Montana Trilogy

MSYT

Retro Guru
Hey folks.

I thought I'd post up a thread about my '93 KHS Montana trilogy.

---- I'll add pics and specs later but for now I've left links to the videos ----

1993 KHS Montana Comp
I picked up this bike back in 2018. The first KHS. One of the first vintage mountain bikes in my collection. I think it was a bargain too. I saw it on eBay and ended up paying around £30 for it. After picking it up I drove straight to the nearest trail centre to test it out... that happened to be Hopton Woods so it was a decent way to break in the bike. It had the original Panaracer tyres on still and most of the original kit with just the rear shifter and saddle being changed if memory serves me right. It was a bone shaking ride but it made it and I fell in love with that bike there and then. When I got it home I found the original shifters, gave it a good service and it's been with me since.

<< First Ride

<< First Service

<< Follow The Dog

<< 2018 Cannock Chase Summer Classic

<< Lockdown Ride

https://youtu.be/SH4fk6GF4p8 << Snow Ride

1993 KHS Montana Pro
So the Pro isn't built yet. I've got two frames right now. One is too small but I thought I'd take a chance on it.... and then I found the serial number had been ground off. The other frame is my size and I was all ready to build it up BUT after finding the seat post didn't fit in I realised the previous owner had fought a seized seatpost and damaged the clamp area. There's a big old hacksaw cut in the top of the tube but it's also been beat on, bending the tube in, causing a dent and splitting the tube slightly... I'm hopefully picking up a third frame to build soon...

1993 KHS Montana Team
Last year I got a message leading me to this one. I jumped at the chance. I've got it almost back to original spec now and have been doing a few rides on it. The XTR canti's and shifters were put back on, chainrings and jockey wheels replaced, Flite added and of course the consumables replaced. Planning to do a few longer distance rides on it this year... maybe the MTB Marathon!

https://youtu.be/qHEiHZEa8rM << First Service

https://youtu.be/CbZS0YrXp2c << First Ride

https://youtu.be/Ur_kX7Ei-yw << Random Ride Around The Canals

Been away from the forum a few months but I too love your channel and your love for these bikes. As somebody also with a trilogy of 93s (and a brace of 94s, both of which are just frames right now though) it’s great to see you championing them!

Just watched Follow the dog. Excellent video and captures the very essence of MTB in 1993. No answer for sore hands other than better grips and hold the bars loosely. Easier said than done. I added Onza bar ends to my Pro and changed the Panaracer smoke lights within a few weeks of purchase as I kept getting punctures. I didn't like the Smoke or the Dart after trying them partly because they didn't wear too well and ended up on a matched set of Kona designed by Joe Murray Kevlar tyres which transformed the bike. The front was maybe a 2.3 equivalent but it made a huge difference to the ride. For 94 we all bought Marzochi shocks with one inch of travel which I still have and will shortly recondition to fit to the orange Clockwork build I intend shortly. Here is a taster of the forks. Inaccessible for now but the have the two rebound adjusters at the bottom of each prong.

Attachments

• IMG_20221026_205644.jpg
    IMG_20221026_205644.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 6
Just watched Follow the dog. Excellent video and captures the very essence of MTB in 1993. No answer for sore hands other than better grips and hold the bars loosely. Easier said than done. I added Onza bar ends to my Pro and changed the Panaracer smoke lights within a few weeks of purchase as I kept getting punctures. I didn't like the Smoke or the Dart after trying them partly because they didn't wear too well and ended up on a matched set of Kona designed by Joe Murray Kevlar tyres which transformed the bike. The front was maybe a 2.3 equivalent but it made a huge difference to the ride. For 94 we all bought Marzochi shocks with one inch of travel which I still have and will shortly recondition to fit to the orange Clockwork build I intend shortly. Here is a taster of the forks. Inaccessible for now but the have the two rebound adjusters at the bottom of each prong.
Marzocchi XC500 apparently

Back