1993 GT Borrego - Gentlemens Green

The 93 Borrego and 93 Arette hybrid were Gt's last Suntour spec'd bicycles.
The Borrego was actually a very nice light bike for the money with Suntour XC-Expert and the only mid-level spec bike with top mount thumb shifter as all other GT models had switched to Rapidfire shifters by 93. There were a number of these listed on craigs in the US about two months back.

gm1230126":1gw88nkt said:
The 93 Borrego and 93 Arette hybrid were Gt's last Suntour spec'd bicycles.
The Borrego was actually a very nice light bike for the money with Suntour XC-Expert and the only mid-level spec bike with top mount thumb shifter as all other GT models had switched to Rapidfire shifters by 93. There were a number of these listed on craigs in the US about two months back.

Thanks for that. :)

Mine actually has an XC pro rear mech. Not sure if it's original but it doesn't look any newer than the other kit.
So glad the grips are in ace condition.

Can you tell me the seatclamp size? I bought a 26.8 but it's too small. I think I've measured it at 29.8 ish but it'd be nice to get confirmation.

Put the new seat post in and tried a Flite to see how it looked. Well you can probably guess it looks ace, as flites tend to do, so I'm ditching the brown idea and going for plain simple and classy.

why not recover a flite in brown - that'd look awesome. brown on green always does.

I'm just trying to use what I've got to be honest. If I was going for brown I'd have one of the copper rivet velo ones off eBay, brown and rivets on a GT would look ace.
I think the brown thing would look good if I could use brown grips to balance the saddle colour. However because of the unusual bars having very good original grips on that isn't a choice that I can go for.

Bit of an update.
The RH BB cup was rusted in pretty well. I struggled to find a bolt to clamp the BB remover to the BB - it's not a normal thread. I ended up buying the Pedros bolt which can clamp the remover to a standard or ISIS BB.

1857ffe4.jpg

I think I'll use it whenever I get a BB out, stuck or not, as it's easy to use and will protect the tool and BB. I know it was £10 but it's paid for itself.

Bit of leverage later and it's out.
Very rusty inside.

dcf2ba02.jpg

Should be ok though. :)

Weighed the frame as I thought it felt quite light.
Was slightly surprised as how heavy it was but it should ride great with the nice DB tubes.

592389c0.jpg

5lb 10oz.

Forks are nice and light though.

4fa19ef2.jpg

668g!!

Waiting on info about the decals - don't want to spend loads on a respray until I get the decals so there will be a bit of a wait.

I did just win some fancy green ano bolts for the bottle cage mounts and the star nut bolt for 99p. :-D

Rob

I'm not surprised at the frame weight... I think triangles must be on the heavier side of geometric shapes!

I have been very tempted to paint this a nice cream colour after seeing another bike on this site. My only reservation is that I am not fond of light coloured bikes as I like to keep things clean.

Cream with brown accessories.... mmmmmmm

Rob

If you desparately want a cream GT, please don't use the Borrego - you can have that Timberline frame of mine! (or at least swop it for four gold M5 bolts!) :D :D :D

Back