1993 Brodie Expresso here we go!

Re: 1993(?) Brodie Expresso here we go!

Some progress today.

Johnnie Built wheels, Brodie originals. The question is Johnnie who?

Not all the parts you see are going to be used in the final build, but I want to get it rideable to see if the frame is a good fit for me. If not, anyone have a 19" they want to trade? ;)

Looking good! Starting to look like the catalogue bike :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 871
Re:

I have a 19" I might trade :) kidding

18370570065_ca689829a4_b.jpg

I've been trying to confirm what type of fork this frame was designed for, rigid or suspension, with the help of Paul Brodie. Here is a transcript of a couple back and forth emails:

PB: "2503 is an 18" espresso, completed June 12, 1993. There is no note of who it was sold to. We often sold frames only, so I cannot say if it was spec'd with a Gatorblade."

Me: "That’s great, thanks Paul! Just to clarify though, was the geometry of the 1993 Brodies designed for use with rigid forks or for suspension forks with short travel? It makes a difference to me in terms of fork choice for the build."

PB: "I have looked through all my serial number notes several times, and there is nothing that says where the suspension geometry started. It probably was sometime around 1993, but I cannot say exactly when, or what serial number. Sorry."

Me: "Interesting Paul, I really appreciate your looking.
Perhaps I can figure it out by putting suspension forks on the frame and measuring the angles. If they match the geometry of the bikes of that year, could I assume that the frame was designed for suspension forks (say 63mm travel)? In the 1994 catalog there is a picture of the Expresso with the Rock Shox I have on the frame now. I believe the geometry in 1994 was 71/73.5. Was it also these angles in 1993? Or perhaps it was a moving target and there were subtle changes to the geometry as you went along, and it is impossible to pin down a timeline...
Thanks for your thoughts. I won’t bother you with this stream of thought further. I know you have more important stuff to put your mind to."

PB: "Angles were 70.5 / 74, and then on frame #2712 they changed to 71.2 / 74. After that there were references to "original geometry" for some of the builds, but I don't know of that meant going back to the 70.5 degree head angle, or whether that meant non-suspension geometry. Yes, put some forks on and check the head tube angle. That's what I would suggest!"

Me: "Thanks Paul that’s great info!
I measured the angles (with my cell phone app, so who knows how accurate that really is), and it showed roughly 70/73 with the short travel Rock Shox on there. That makes me think that Expresso frame 2503 was designed with rigid forks in mind. Total guesstimate of course..."

I sure did appreciate Paul's humouring me with these questions, because really, what does it matter? But I wanted to know, as best as I could.
So my best guess is that mid 1993 frames were still being designed for and spec'ed with Gatorblades in mind. Having said that I still may stick with a short travel suspension fork because I like the idea of relaxing the angles a hair. But the proof will be in the ride...

Paul is awesome for responding and engaging with his customers and fans. For what it's worth, he'll have these conversations with you on Fb in the Vintage Canadian MTB forum and more people usually join the conversation like Toxik and Cooney. Pretty cool that the internet has brought us closer and easily in reach

The Brodie is coming together nicely shamobius and i've got a feeling the rigid forks were intended for it but i'm hoping it's the suspesion forks which are the correct choice as i think they'll suit the frame better and some really nice feed back from Brodie as it just goes to show what a really decent guy he is ..

Bc , that's a really smart Brodie frameset you've got their mate and i think the blue h stem really looks a natural part of the frameset and i reckon you should do the decent thing and build it up so we could a photo of both bikes together ;) ..

Well as decent as the previous forks were, I stumbled upon a pair of Manitou Magnums in amazing condition that had been refurbished. I couldn't pass them up, and they look pretty damn cool!

I also found a pair of Brodie brake boosters, so I put one on the rear brake and am trying to decide if the front needs it or not. I won't really know until I can ride it.

Back