1992 Saracen Kili Racer

That's a very cool frame, reminds me of an alpinestars frame. A 20" pipe wrench couldn't have worked to get that post out huh? I never thought of caustic chemicals to do the job... Does that not reduce the integrity of the frame itself? Very interesting.

I haven't got a 20" pipe wrench, so I have no idea! I also have no vice or anything, which makes leverage rather tricky.

Supposedly caustic soda doesn't dissolve steel, so the frame itself should be untouched. I can't say the same for the powder coat. :p

I had a bit of a break, but had a go at it this morning. First things first; see if it'll come out naturally..

oops! There goes the bit of post that was outside the frame. :facepalm:

Nice to see that it had eaten right through the bits of the post that weren't protected by white tack, although the post inside the tube didn't look quite so eroded. Can't be long to go now, though! :D

Crikey.. at this rate, I'm going to have to nail down what colour to paint it before the weekend! :shock:

edit: I edited a photo to try and test different colours (I think the original was by drystonepaul). It's only a vague representation, but I think I'm down to these colours..

I think it's between light brown or lime green!

Attachments

• alltogether.jpg
    alltogether.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 390
Re:

Well, my opinion is that all the colors you picked are nice, the brown is real nice, but I think that should go on a classy bike, your frame is sporty and different, not so much classy. So being sporty that rules out the forest green color, its not flashy enough. The lime green color is a good choice to end up with, but out of the four colors you picked, the teal, bluish green color is perfect, it catches the eye and compliments the frame.

Re:

Pretty much same colours I'm choosing between on mine. Bit Skint as August is an expensive month so mine might have to wait until September for paint.

Plans for parts?

Re:

I'm also running out of moolah, but the powder coat is only 20 squids. I think I can stretch to that. :)

I'm trying to use parts that I've already got, soo..

• Handlebar: Ritchey Forcelite
    Stem: ? (I think all the ones I have are too long)
    Brake levers: Possibly Tektro 362
    Brakes: Deore DX or Tektro 866
    Shifters: Deore DX thumbies
    Crank: Deore LX
    Front mech: Deore XT
    Rear mech: Deore XT
    Wheels: Deore LX hubs with Mavic M231 rims
    Tyres: Charge Splashbacks (for now)
    Seatpost: Brand X black post
    Saddle: Charge Spoon

I'm unsure about the brakes.. I have Deore DX callipers, but no levers. I do have some anodized blue Tektro levers and callipers, however. They're a nice colour (not sure if they'd work with whatever paint I end up with), but the levers look a little cheap, and I've heard the callipers are a nightmare to set up. I'll have to try them out, and buy something else if they don't work out.

As for colour.. Up until this morning, I was still leaning toward brown, but then I looked at the bikes in the bike rack at work. About 25 bikes.. 20 of them black, 1 white, 1 silver, 1 red (mine!), and 1 green. Maybe brown is a bit too boring.. :roll:

A new lick of paint and the frame will look good whatever you choose.

Good selction of bits I would say. No experience on the levers you mention. Why not give them a try when the bike is painted and go from there.

When my caustic soda ran out a week or so ago, the seatpost still looked like this:

It's hard to tell with all the white tack covering it, but the post was still mostly intact, although the tubing was only a couple of mm thick. Funny how it dissolved faster where one side was open to atmosphere..

I got more caustic soda from B&Q on the weekend, and I was expecting a few more applications would be required, but after only one more dose - it evaporated! :D I reckon it took about ten doses to fully dissolve. It would've been a lot quicker if I'd worked out what implements to use and what doses to apply earlier.

I think I was using 100g of soda to 300ml of water, poured into the tube through the bottom bracket via a butchered fuel syphon. Gaffer tape worked the best for keeping the blue/white tack in place. Other tapes lost stickiness or just melted. Cleaning the tube of residue before each application is advised, as it seemed to work a lot better when I did that. I used a file to get rid of it.

This Saturday I'll be off to the powder coater! I still haven't decided on a colour. :p

Whoop whoop how exciting.

I'm clearing bits to find a repaint on mine. Might copy yours if the colour looks good!

Back