1992 Saracen Kili Racer

coomber":25w4ftdn said:
Awesome. Change that seat angle though might be more comfortable!
All in good time! At the moment, I'm more concerned with having operational gears and brakes. :)

The first day on the road didn't go well. The chain was skipping about all over the rear sprockets, apart from one gear, and then I got a flat tyre 3 miles from home. Then I realised I'd left my tyre levers on a wheelie bin at home. :facepalm:

This morning I switched the back wheel for one that I know used to work, and it's shifting smoothly. I'm not sure what was up with the other cassette - it didn't look worn out. Maybe I'd gotten some of the cogs mixed up when I was assembling it from the mess of cassettes that were in the shed.

The replacement wheel looks nice, as it's anodized black and matches the other black bits of the bike. It's definitely not period correct, tho - it's about 10 years too young. Despite that, I think I might keep using it.

The ALX89 is now sold, btw. I'll miss the bike, but I won't miss the stomach pains. It took me about 2 hours to find a replacement project. :roll:

edit: Just ordered decals from Gil. wooo!

Another update!

Since the last photo, it's got different wheels, black chainrings, an LX front mech (should've had an LX rear mech, too, but Royal Mail lost it), Suntour SE XC brakes (the Tektro's were terrible!), aaand decals!

The front mech needs a bit of adjustment, and the front brakes aren't attached to the cables because the screw is blocked by the fork blade. I've also found out that the crank spider is bent.

Weird how the frame still looks red in photos. I'm starting to suspect it's my phone trying to be clever, so I'll try using a proper camera next time. oh, and yes - I've got two pairs of rear SE brakes, with them on backwards at the front (probably why the bolt's obscured). I don't think it's worth spending £20 for a proper front version.

Stuff left to do:
  • Sort out the front brake (maybe switch the allen bolt for something older, so I can tighten from the side)
    Sort out the crank (although I have 3 of them; one's badly painted black, and the other is from this bike, and has pedals seized to it)
    Get a more elegant bolt for the seat clamp
    Lower the front mech a bit, and treat the pulley because it's going rusty
    Put some Yeti grips on
    Clean those tyres!

the brakes are rear specific - the whole point of them is that they sit on a thread that 'screw' the brake in the direction of the wheel travel

found this on me travels:

3428197708_49d733b2fa_b.jpg

ooh - I'll save that ad. :)

I know they lose the self energizing properties when fitted backward, but that just means they work like a normal canti instead.

Weirdly, the proper front XC cantis are more expensive, despite not being self energizing, so I reckoned I'd save some precious pennies and use backward rears instead. I'm a cheapskate. :)

The SE mechanism is a lovely thing, though. It's a good job they don't do them for the front, or else I'd go over the handlebars just from watching them extend outward, let alone their braking power! :roll:

Late and possibly final update; last night, someone broke into our shed and stole my Kili Racer. :shock:

I have rarer bikes that they didn't bother with (probably because they'd been buried under a ton of plantpots), but the Kili Racer was always my favourite. :(

Re:

Really sorry to hear about your recent loss ! I was following your posts with interest , as I purchased a similar
bike at a local garage sale for just £ 10 a couple of years ago and was sad to see your recent update

I had a similar experience some years back when my best bike , a Saracen Kili Conquest was stolen from the garage
It took me some time to get over that , and ever since I have used multiple locks to secure my bikes

Back