1992 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":35n9wxsi said:
Looking very smart!
I'm not sure about the green decals either but at least the bike is not just two tone. Maybe get a saddle to match? It looks like Bianchi green so should be easy enough. Or maybe the same colour grips?
BTW , what is wet sanding ? Using wet and dry paper before clear coating it?

Mike
Looking for a green saddle or grips is a good idea. It'll be hard to match but would look cool. Its not quite the same as the Bianchi green.

The white paint on this bike had a ton of scuffs and scratches and I wasn't able to clean the marks off with scrubbing or cleaners. So I used wet sandpaper 800-2000 grit to remove the marks and smooth the paint. I find wet sanding with degreaser or water helps remove the marks quicker and better than dry. You can do a quick wipe with a cloth in between sanding and easily see if you've got the desired result.

The 1st coat of paint on this bike was black, so the black shows through wherever the white was chipped or scratched deep enough. So I used some touch up paint the and wet sanded it smooth again. I didn't worry about using clear coat over top. I just used a rubbing compound and polished the whole frame, and its hard to even see the areas where the clear coat was sanded off. Then I finished it off with a couple coats of wax to protect the finish...it's a bit time consuming, but it's better than repainting the whole frame.

shutter":35n9wxsi said:
Nice! What did you use as touchup paint on the pearl white?
I tried about 4 different whites before I found a close enough match. The original white paint has a reddish pearl hue to it. My local paint shop wasn't too optimistic to find a match and recommended a full repaint, so I ended up going to a couple auto dealers and got some touch up paints. I settled on a Nissan pearl white. If I had more time and patience, I probably would have tried a couple others that had a brighter or lighter pearl white.

Re:

Thanks for the info Blizz, I'll keep it in mind for my current project. By a couple of coats of wax I guess you mean regular car wax?
Looking forward to first ride pictures!
Edit:Just re-read your first post, top man for riding in those temperatures to get it! :shock: :shock:

Mike

Blizz":3f64dzqd said:
Mike Muz 67":3f64dzqd said:
Looking very smart!
I'm not sure about the green decals either but at least the bike is not just two tone. Maybe get a saddle to match? It looks like Bianchi green so should be easy enough. Or maybe the same colour grips?
BTW , what is wet sanding ? Using wet and dry paper before clear coating it?

Mike
Looking for a green saddle or grips is a good idea. It'll be hard to match but would look cool. Its not quite the same as the Bianchi green.

The white paint on this bike had a ton of scuffs and scratches and I wasn't able to clean the marks off with scrubbing or cleaners. So I used wet sandpaper 800-2000 grit to remove the marks and smooth the paint. I find wet sanding with degreaser or water helps remove the marks quicker and better than dry. You can do a quick wipe with a cloth in between sanding and easily see if you've got the desired result.

The 1st coat of paint on this bike was black, so the black shows through wherever the white was chipped or scratched deep enough. So I used some touch up paint the and wet sanded it smooth again. I didn't worry about using clear coat over top. I just used a rubbing compound and polished the whole frame, and its hard to even see the areas where the clear coat was sanded off. Then I finished it off with a couple coats of wax to protect the finish...it's a bit time consuming, but it's better than repainting the whole frame.

shutter":3f64dzqd said:
Nice! What did you use as touchup paint on the pearl white?
I tried about 4 different whites before I found a close enough match. The original white paint has a reddish pearl hue to it. My local paint shop wasn't too optimistic to find a match and recommended a full repaint, so I ended up going to a couple auto dealers and got some touch up paints. I settled on a Nissan pearl white. If I had more time and patience, I probably would have tried a couple others that had a brighter or lighter pearl white.

Cool! Where did you get it? Nissan dealer or Canadian tire? (Is it Nissan brand or Duplicolour brand or...?)

I haven't posted it yet but I was the one who bought that auction find blizzard (I paid a lot so nobody missed out on any sort of crazy deal)... It's got the same issues... Really nice pearl finish with lots of chips through to the black

Re:

Nice bike! I like the mint decals on the white or black Rockies - may have something to do with my first mountain bike being a late 80's fusion in mint green.

Shutter, I got the paint at the Nissan dealer. They have the marker-tip paints there. I ended up using a fine paint brush instead because I couldn't get the marker to work good. Honestly, if you want a closer colour match, it might be worth going to a couple other auto dealers to see if they have a brighter pearl white. Mine looks good online, but up close you can see the slight colour difference.
I did try some of the duplicolour pearl paint for my 91 blizzard. It was a good match but it was too transparent and required a base coat of plain white.

dirttorpedo":2x3vfjoi said:
Nice bike! I like the mint decals on the white or black Rockies - may have something to do with my first mountain bike being a late 80's fusion in mint green.
Thanks!
I remember that mint Fusion...haven't seen one for years. There are a few of the old white ones from 88-89 still floating around.

Blizz":33mab1yc said:
I finally finished the paint touch-ups and wet sanding and gave the frame a nice polish. Other than a few scratched up up decals, the bike is looking shiny new again!

I did manage to find a old Syncros post for the bike, to go along with the stem and bar. Thanks Ted!
So far, I've just got the wheels (XT and Wolber AT18's) mounted along with the XT Thumbies, brake levers, and BB. My plan is to stick with the XT group for the rest of the build...nothing too exciting but I'm trying to keep most of the original parts on the bike.
Here it is so far:

The touched up frame looks great Blizz, glad I could help with the post.

CHeers, Ted

Re:

Looking good Blizz! Cant wait to see this come together some more.

I've wet sanded cars before, but seeing this has given me the inspiration to try to wet sand off some of the overspray on my '91.

Back