1992 Orange Clockwork purple/orange fade

Re:

Well, it was only a matter of time before it got muddy. :mrgreen:

Loving it, obviously... it's fast! Not as confidence inspiring on more technical stuff as my C16R is but it really bombs along - felt like I was riding much faster than usual on the downhills etc. Everything works, and nothing broke on the maiden voyage so that's good.

The more eagle eyed will spot another small change made - I fitted a black seatpost. My 5 year old son says it is an improvement - "more rare" in his words. The brown saddle stays, I tried a Flite but it didn't look right.

Still got a couple of tweaks to make (as ever). Brakes still aren't springing back nicely/equally despite a quick double check that the springs were seated right. I might try swapping springs front to back to see if I can even them out. In the meantime they stop OK so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I'm not convinced by the Smokes... seems I generally have a preference for a more rounded tread pattern, I just find them nicer to corner with, and to be honest I felt like the Smokes were digging in less than the cheapo Michelins on the C16R. Lots of slippage going up hills and stuff. It was pretty muddy though... I dunno. Maybe they need breaking in. I might put the old Ground Controls back on and see how they compare.

Also... I'm not 100% about the handlebar setup. I've got nice T-bone Prestige stem here which would bring the bars up and back... and maybe I'd prefer conventional straight bars... again, not sure, but I just felt I had less control than with the C16R. Might just be a case of getting used to it.

Still, lovely bike, I'm proud to own and ride it.

Attachments

• DSCF9948.jpg
    DSCF9948.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCF9950.jpg
    DSCF9950.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 251
Re:

Apologies for hijacking Captain Stupido thread, but given he did all the work in getting this bike refreshed and back to its former glory it only seemed right to post something here. The bike was sold on Retrobike last year, being purchased off a top bloke called Lewis, who had kept everything the same as above. As luck would have it, Lewis lived fairly local to me, and the bike was advertised on a selling forum, and I was lucky enough to buy it from him. The irony was I bought the same Coloured Clockwork 1992 frame and forks the week before :facepalm:(Now thankfully Sold and built up by Davo)

My only thoughts on possible changes is the saddle, as I have a Selle San Marco Corvo saddle like the March 1992 MBUK review of this Clockwork. However in the Orange brochure, they have the brown Velo saddle as pictured below. So undecided. I may use the brown Velo saddle for my 1991 Prestige.. Unsure. Also thinking of putting a set of Orange Hot rods on, instead of the Ram Rods, although I do like the Ram Rods and may not change. Otherwise the bike will remain the same.
Another thing I noticed from the 92 MBUK Clockwork, to the Orange 92 Brochure Clockwork, is the decals have different coloured writing. The Orange brochure has orange coloured writing, and the MBUK has black. So I am tempted to change the saddle and have a carbon copy of the MBUK one pictured!
Anyway Captain Stupido the bike is in good hands, going to take it out for a spin today. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4773.JPG
    IMG_4773.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4774.JPG
    IMG_4774.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4777.JPG
    IMG_4777.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4778.JPG
    IMG_4778.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4776.JPG
    IMG_4776.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 119
Re:

Looking at the pictures the one in the brochure is the original style frame with the seat stay meeting the seat tube lower down. That would be a rare beast I reckon, maybe pre-production?

Glad I rescued this one way back when and even gladder it's getting looked after and used. :cool:

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":33ck9d1o said:
Looking at the pictures the one in the brochure is the original style frame with the seat stay meeting the seat tube lower down. That would be a rare beast I reckon, maybe pre-production?

Glad I rescued this one way back when and even gladder it's getting looked after and used. :cool:

Yes glad you rescued it Ed. I think your right regarding the Orange catalogue one. The frame is slightly different rear triangle, so your quite right. Also in regards to the decals it was probably a case of experimenting which colour scheme to go for. All the ones I’ve seen (around 5 of them), are in the black decal colour. So that’s obviously what Orange finally decided on :cool:. So its like you said the orange catalogue one is most probably pre production, a one off, who knows what’s happened to it.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1q134kda said:
I've also never seen a frame of that design with the later 'Clockwork' decal.

Agreed Ed

No, definitely think it’s a one off.
Anyway makes my decision easier, will change the saddle around for mine. So it identical to the March MBUK 92 mag one. The brown velo one can go on another Orange bike. :cool:

Back