1992 Marin Team Issue rescue - Finshed pics on page 8

Re: 1994 Marin Team Issue

keithwbloom":rkqccgcg said:
I'm quite chuffed to find your thread is so recent. Sixteen years ago a Marin Team Issue I had built up to race was stolen from my garden shed. I was crushed. Yesterday I found a 1994 for sale with full XTR M900 components less hubs/wheels and I scooped it up in fair condition. I am going to strip it down, service the Manitou SXR front suspension, service all the XTR kit and reassemble with fresh cables and hopefully a pair of XTR M900 or other period wheels. The finish of the frame on my 1994 is scratched and chipped, it appears there may be a tinted clear coat over the brushed steel finish. Do you have any specifics about the factory finish for the Team Issue Tange Superlight series? Source for quality decals? Cheers in advance.

Hello mate and welcome to RetroBike, be warned its very addictive :LOL:

Decals can be sourced from a chap called Gil_m he has his own website and is also on here quite often:

http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk/

The finish is Nickle plating which has then been lacquered. I'm lucky that mines not too corroded so I won't be getting it redone.
Here's a link to the 1992 Marin catalogue, there are other years available on here too:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/12565-2/1992.pdf

Why not start a thread of your own build? Be great to see it, hope it goes well :)

Tim

Re: 1992 Marin Team Issue rescue

Bit of progress made today.

Chainset arrived from the US, forks dropped off with my Mini's body shop to be painted and should be done later in the week. Gil's sending my decal proofs so this baby shouldn't take too long :)

Brilliant! It is addictive, and I am so ready to dig in. I cannot believe I came across this Team Issue within blocks of my home on a happenstance. I have been thinking about it all weekend. I am collecting it this evening, so I will post before photos tonight or tomorrow.

The seller advertised it as a 1993, but I think it is a 1994. The original wheels are gone, so I am looking at a couple of sets of Mavic 230/XTR M900s or M910s if I need them for 8-speed cassette. Original fork is gone, upgraded to Manitou SX-R, but that needs a rebuild, so I might swap it out for a Judy SL like I had on my Team Marin before it was pinched. Once rebuilt/restored, I plan to ride this hard tail on trails and teach my son the joys of riding XC.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Minifreak, the catalogue link you sent was full of memories. I remember all of those models back in the day, and better still, I remember riding the trails in the Mt. Tamalpais watershed that they are all named after!

keithwbloom":3u3e6ll8 said:
Brilliant! It is addictive, and I am so ready to dig in. I cannot believe I came across this Team Issue within blocks of my home on a happenstance. I have been thinking about it all weekend. I am collecting it this evening, so I will post before photos tonight or tomorrow.

The seller advertised it as a 1993, but I think it is a 1994. The original wheels are gone, so I am looking at a couple of sets of Mavic 230/XTR M900s or M910s if I need them for 8-speed cassette. Original fork is gone, upgraded to Manitou SX-R, but that needs a rebuild, so I might swap it out for a Judy SL like I had on my Team Marin before it was pinched. Once rebuilt/restored, I plan to ride this hard tail on trails and teach my son the joys of riding XC.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Hope you find some decent wheels for it, I'm having so resort to a 7 speed XT M732 hub for now as its built up onto the rim I need which has been hard to locate, I will source the correct one and build it up if the rim has plenty of life left.

Can't wait to see pics :)

A Marin should really have a Manitou fork but if you had Judy's it'll make it more like your old bike.

Don't forget to start a thread.

There is a set of Mavic 320s laced up to a set of M910s on my eBay watch list at the moment. I think the original 1994 spec is Mavic 230s, but I am not going to be super picky if I can get them for a good price.

keithwbloom":2414yn6s said:
There is a set of Mavic 320s laced up to a set of M910s on my eBay watch list at the moment. I think the original 1994 spec is Mavic 230s, but I am not going to be super picky if I can get them for a good price.

I found the wheels you were on about on eBay and thought the postage would be crazy, then I realised your in the US as well :facepalm:
Nice wheels those.

Minifreak":vbrmid9r said:
I found the wheels you were on about on eBay and thought the postage would be crazy, then I realised your in the US as well :facepalm:
Nice wheels those.

Yes I am, and I am very happy to shop for and arrange shipping to UK if you ever wish to leverage the US eBay market and seller shipping is too pricey. I do the same for VW/Audi parts exclusive to US market for other groups as well. ;-)

keithwbloom":3lxlonqt said:
Minifreak":3lxlonqt said:
Nice wheels those.

Yes I am, and I am very happy to shop for and arrange shipping to UK if you ever wish to leverage the US eBay market and seller shipping is too pricey. I do the same for VW/Audi parts exclusive to US market for other groups as well. ;-)

Would of been handy with the wheel I bought, next time buddy, thanks for that :LOL:

Back