1992 Kona Kilauea (20")

Cheers guys. The wheels were rebuilt with DT double butted spokes by Matthew Starey (now of Middleburn fame) after I had a spoke break on Esher Common many years ago.

Was using Schwalbe Land Cruisers for a couple of months, but really not a fan of black wall tyres so the Twin Rails went on. I also have some folding Splashbacks in stock.

Prior to the Schwalbes it had a Specialized Ground Control on the rear and a folding Ritchey MegaBite on the front. Skin walls of course! They are still usable, but wanted something a little more road friendly for the time being.

Lovely, one of my all time favourites. I remember when it came out and featured in a test in one of the mags. Full DX was the original spec.?? It then got even better in a different way

Re:

Hi,

I would be interested in the original decal sheet if you can find it and possibly get it replicated by Gil.

I also have a 1992 20" Kileuea purchased from York Cycleworks in September 92 for £600. You were right RRP was £650. My bike is black though not blue.

I have a brand new old stock Kona headset to fit the original frame and forks if your interested.

Took a quick look in the loft. Couldn't find the decal sheet. It's probably hidden inside something to keep it flat. I did find the Kona Mountain Bike Owner's Handbook, Manitou Sport owner's manual and the Evans hand written receipt dated 7th September 1992 for the full value of £649.95 (for insurance purposes!).

Never seen a black 92 Kilauea!

Thanks for the headset offer though. Will stick with the sealed XT one for the time being.

Back