1992 GT - First restoration and a lot of missing parts

jaychen

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, decided it was time to join.

Moved to New Orleans last year and it was the first time living in a city that was more or less totally flat. This made me keen to start riding again (hadn't since my youth) and then the desire for a retro mtb came about when I saw someone riding a really neat GT while I was riding an old Diamond Back my mother in law had given me. Now back in Australia again for a little while, I really wanted to build something since I have all my tools here.

I found this locally and didn't pay that much, but the seller had pulled it apart to take some photos or something and packed the box pretty poorly. It arrived missing a LOT of parts.

I suppose it's easier to list what I do have, than what I don't;

Frame
Forks
Stem
Front and rear wheel
7 speed derailleur
Seat

I spent about 6 hours taking apart the wheels and cleaning them as best I could and started taking the stickers off and sanding the bike back to get it ready for powdercoat!

The rear Shimano Exage Mountain U brake was included but it has no hardware, nor the unusually long piece that wraps around the seat post? Ideally I am looking to replace/upgrade the front and rear brakes with something, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'd also like to convert to a 1x with some decent cranks (I will need a new bottom bracket/cartridge too since that was also missing).

I also apologise if my terminolgy isn't up to scratch, this is the first bike I have ever rebuilt!

Some pictures:

XGsI3Ar.jpg

r3jp3Kg.jpg

Iqo7mnW.jpg

yXOFIXB.jpg

rsWooEd.jpg

bO15fxN.jpg

eBWoKE4.jpg

That looks really nice as is, I’d be tempted to not strip it, give it a really good clean, polish and touch up if there are any deep chips in the paint. Each to their own though it’s your bike!

In terms of brakes you won’t get much better stopping power than the original front cantis and rear u-brake if set up properly. For the cable crossover I’ve used both a piece of cable outer either side and also adapated a bottom bracket cable guide to replace this part until the right one came up. A GT one is expensive via eBay, worth putting out a wanted on here.

Welcome! Always nice to see an early 90s steel GT being restored.

What colour do you plan to have it powdercoated? I like the original metallic blue, even if it is one of the less eye-catching GT paint schemes from that period.

If the u-brake is missing parts, it's probably as cheap to find a replacement Exage/Deore one if you can't find the replacement parts. You will also need the plastic cable guide for it that goes on the seat tube, if that has been lost.

Great project! Good luck with all the parts
Thanks!
That looks really nice as is, I’d be tempted to not strip it, give it a really good clean, polish and touch up if there are any deep chips in the paint. Each to their own though it’s your bike!

In terms of brakes you won’t get much better stopping power than the original front cantis and rear u-brake if set up properly. For the cable crossover I’ve used both a piece of cable outer either side and also adapated a bottom bracket cable guide to replace this part until the right one came up. A GT one is expensive via eBay, worth putting out a wanted on here.
Unfortunately the other side of the bike is a lot worse for wear. Almost all the paint is missing off the bar that's next to the chain, lots and lots of scratches. It doesn't seem to have had an easy life.

Found a couple schematics of the rear U brake, I'm missing a lot of the dust caps, washers and bolts, figure it's easier to try and replace both brakes with new if possible.
Welcome! Always nice to see an early 90s steel GT being restored.

What colour do you plan to have it powdercoated? I like the original metallic blue, even if it is one of the less eye-catching GT paint schemes from that period.

If the u-brake is missing parts, it's probably as cheap to find a replacement Exage/Deore one if you can't find the replacement parts. You will also need the plastic cable guide for it that goes on the seat tube, if that has been lost.
Undecided on the paint scheme yet - have been looking through the older catalogues and one that really appeals is the black with white lightning and the orange/red decals. Not so much a blue guy myself. Luckily the plastic cable guide was on the bike too.

Any suggestions on a bottom bracket and cranks to convert it to a 1x? I noticed that I mostly kept my Diamond Back in the middle chain ring when riding and the 7 gears at the back were more than enough for me.

This bike is going to be a bit of a commuter for the time being.

There's loads of options for cranks, so whatever takes your fancy and fits your price range, really. You can pick up good quality ones here or on Ebay for a reasonable price, then use either a good condition old BB or a new equivalent. It's worth thinking about whether you will fit the chainring in the middle ring position (if you want to have a bash guard outside it) or the outside position as this will affect the bottom bracket length you want for a good chainline and to ensure you have enough clearance from the chainstays if you're fitting a bigger chainring in the middle position.

I've used both retro and newer cranks for 1x builds and both work well, with availability of chainrings usually fine for both.

No worries. Appreciate the input!

As for brakes - are the Dia-Compe AD990 any good/would they fit the rear of my GT and also allow me to run a 26x2.4 tyre?

Having trouble finding a lot of options for new rear U brakes.

No opportunities to buy a Shimano one second hand? I had a Dia-Compe Hombre brake on the rear of my Zaskar because it came with the frame and it was fine, but definitely not as good as the Shimano ones.

Regarding tyres, I imagine the clearance would be similar to the 91-92 GTs I have/had but I don't think I've ever tried fitting tyres beyond 2.0 ... 2.4 sounds tricky.

Think I got 2.1s to “fit” my ‘91 Zaskar, while the wheels turned and didn’t rub, the moment you introduce any mud the regret is instant. Depends on what sort of riding you’re doing and the weather where you are - if it’s dry riding you may get away with wider tyres. Here in the UK unless you stay on the road you’re going to get clearance issues with wider than standard tyres due to mud.

I've done some measuring, miles away from getting a 2.4 to fit. I think 2.1 is right on the limit.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a second hand Shimano U brake locally.

In my research last night I cam across Spray.Bike. Is this stuff any different to normal acrylic in a can?

Latest posts

Back