1992 Fire Mountain commuter - it's in bits

Re: 1992 Fire Mountain commuter - it's back

That is indeed the problem.
I'm not hacking up a Velocity!!

Well i wasn't sure if you would tbh so if your interested in another stem then i may just have a black Zoom stem for ya but i can't check the width of the clamp till tomorrow as it's in the back of the shed atm and it's in pretty good nic except it's minus it's cap ..

This is the stem in question ,

002_zpsd2mxwobr.jpg

Or i've got one in silver but i'd want the cap off it unless you've got a tempting suggestion ..

001_zpsdmsxm04d.jpg

So the ball is in your court as they say ..

I would offer you these Titec bars which are very light if their of any use to you but some one had ago at splatter painting them so they would need the paint removing or them repainting but i'd be best meeting up with you if you were at all interested then i wouldn't have the hassle of postage .

007_zpssxyhzlqn.jpg

Hmm, no canti hanger...
I have an excess of bars at the moment. A stem with some rise might help though...

I had wondered about the canti hanger and i have got one on my 1990 Fire mountain which has the wheel but not sure i'd want to part with it unless i had another Kona stem to replace it with and it's a tad tatty due to some rust but wouldn't take to much to sort out any how you have a think about it and let me know ..

This is my Fire mountain which needs some attention when weather and funds allow .

You need to click on the pic to get a better view due to the crap camera ..

7a13fdd0-05da-4cbd-a4eb-28168be420b8_zps7nb9ku3j.jpg

:facepalm: Update/recap on this thing - for some reason riding the FM for any distance at all started to absolutely kill my lower back, and seeing as I didn't want to use my Cinder Cone I ended up just going back to commuting on my Charge Plug 2.
Until I left it on a train and never saw it again :oops:
I replaced that with a singlespeed MBK Trainer in bright pink and purple that saw me through the rest of the year, was a bargain at £80 on eBay from the other side of Manchester. Great bike but it didn't really work for commuting, the tyres were too skinny for Manchester's godawful roads and I found myself turning too many tight corners and I kept clipping the pedals on the floor. It's sitting in my shed with a wheel out of true at the moment (fell off when some pedestrians started crossing a road in front of me as some traffic lights changed) - I should really sort that out.

Point being, the Fire Mountain just sat unloved for a good while. For a better riding position, I decided to try and fit an On One Mary as detailed on the last page - well it didn't fit through the Velocity stem, so I traded it to The History Man for some risers. The Mary is now on his frankenbike - upside down.

Well the risers didn't fit either :facepalm: so I needed a new stem at the very least. I thought about this for a bit but nothing became of it - I'd either need a new stem with an unthreaded stem adapter, or it was bye bye Project Two to go threadless.

Then a Saracen Tufftrax came up on here nearby for £30, so I just bought that instead, and pulled the Fire Mountain apart to sell.

I still have all the bars except the Mary.
The cranks are on the Tufftrax with a Salsa singlespeed chainring, I think the original chainrings are worn out.
The P2 got sold to someone on the continent.
The slicks got sold too, as did the seat.
Wheelset is now on my Cinder Cone, as are the grips.
Thumbies, LX cantis, mechs are in the parts box.
Frame's just lying around.

I don't know why I had such a bad run with this bike, there was always something wrong with it, and while it worked perfectly for a while, it just wasn't to be.
So that's the end of the story for my first retrobike - but it's lead me on to bigger and better things, and it was a great introduction. Here's to the future - and my next project - which I should really start a thread for.

Should probably update my sales thread too!

Latest posts

Back