1992 Fire Mountain commuter - it's in bits

Re: 1992 Fire Mountain commuter - it's back

I think it's right, it was labelled l/r! I'll see if it needs tightening or anything.
Big at the front and small at the back more like!

Ghosty":1ghodbwm said:
I think it's right, it was labelled l/r! I'll see if it needs tightening or anything.
Big at the front and small at the back more like!

Well it's good to check as we all slip up from time to time when we have other things on our minds .
So if the main gears are big that you mainly use then their shouldn't be much in the way of the chain kinking at all ..

Re:

I had a similar problem with a set of their bingo bars - absolute bugger to get shifters and brake levers on.

I prefer to stick with straight bars tbh but that's just my preference ...

Can't do straights on this, damn things are killing my lower back. Unbearable to ride.

After some faffing about I'm going to have to admit defeat on this. It's meant to be my hack bike but it rarely even sees the road any more, and I can't get it to ride comfortably without having to change at the very least the stem, and that might mean forks and all sorts.
I'm just not gelling with it any more, so I think it's going to go for trade/break. I'd like something new anyway.

Re:

Before you give up, try the old penny trick...

Take the bolt out, put it in the other way round and slide a penny or such like in the gap between the two parts of the clamp. When you tighten the bolt up, it spreads the clamp apart... basically a better way of wedging it open with a screwdriver

G

I already have - it's just not going to happen with the bars I want to use. I traded the Mary for a riser bar too and I still had trouble.

I take it you realised that it's the width of the clamp on the stem that's causing the issue and if it were narrowed with a saw then the bars should just fit through with a bit of patience ;) ..

Back