1992 (?) Explosif - my first (and so far, only) Kona

dayofsuffering

Retro Newbie
So, this tuesday I bought a Kona Explosif after wanting a Kona for quite some time. It's been ridden, hard. Which is probably a good thing, since that's what it was made for. However, this means that not much of the original kit is left.

I've been using the search function like a madman, and based on what I've read here, I'm thinking it's a 1992..?

Since I'm a newbie when it comes to retro bikes, I only know whatever I've read here and Wikipedia about Kona's history.

It has the "bulge butted" seat tube, and a very worn "Prestige Concept" sticker. It also has what you guys refer to as the "Euro branding" decal (K Mountain Bikes), instead of KONA. The serial started with F108... or something like that if I remember correctly. I read in another thread that several other people with 1992 Explosif's had similar serials.

Cranks are M900's, pedals are M737 spd's. The stem says "ITM Tomahawk", with "ITM Super alloy Ultra-Light" handlebar. XT front derailleur, and a newer LX rear der. Rear wheel is a Mavic 238 rim with Stx-RC hub, front is the same rim with an Alivio hub. XTR canti rear brake, and a no name V-brake in front.

I'm the third owner. The guy I bought it from had it for a long time, after buying it from the original owner at least ten years ago, he didn't remember exactly.

Can anyone help me ID the fork? He was sure it was a Rock Shox, but wasn't absolutely sure on the model name. It has air valves on the top of each fork leg, and adjustable knobs in six steps.

It would be fun to know what the saddle is as well. It has a "Bontrager Selle San Marco" sticker underneath, and has a mfg. date stamp from 1994. It's quite narrow, in white leather.

Lastly, how do you pronounce Explosif? :) "Explosive", or "Explo-seef", or perhaps "Explosiff"?

xrh6IZm.jpg

kjFaR9m.jpg

Cheers!

Re:

"Explosiff"
:cool: nice find mate :cool: ..this retro bike interest does get addictive :LOL:..trust me/us :LOL:

Ernie ;)

Congratulations. I hope yours rides as nice and as light as mine. Wasn't much left either so free hand to make it rider not a looker. 92.

e36e44384ff7ac26bd2b81f353297015_zps0ad90c29.jpg

Thanks!! Your bike looks like an awesome ride! 1992 FTW! :mrgreen:

I've been doing some more searching, and I think I've cleared some things up. It would be nice if any of you could confirm them though!

1. The fork - Is it an RS Mag 21?

2. The saddle - Is it a Selle San Marco Bontrager Cro-Mo?

3. Size - I'm thinking 18", based on what I've read here, and measuring mine to compare. Roughly 19" from BB to top of seat tube. 130 mm head tube. 42" between wheel axles. I'm not exactly sure how to measure the top tube. I read that these measurements make it an 18" by 1992 Kona sizing..?

Re:

This chart may be of use although later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 260
Back