1992 Boulder Intrepid Al revisited ...

meaning you like aluminum more than steel?

I just figure this bike has been an orphan long enough. It's amazing that a NOS classic such as this hasn't been found a home.

irmb":1l721nc7 said:
meaning you like aluminum more than steel? ...
I meant aluminum is not easy to repair, that's all!

Perhaps the simplest solution is (if the head tube is 1 1/:cool:, reduce it by a sleeve to 1 inches, the sleeve had to be stuck inside.

Nader":2bykvhc1 said:
irmb":2bykvhc1 said:
meaning you like aluminum more than steel? ...
I meant aluminum is not easy to repair, that's all!

Perhaps the simplest solution is (if the head tube is 1 1/:cool:, reduce it by a sleeve to 1 inches, the sleeve had to be stuck inside.
Rumor has it these bikes were never heat treated - and this causes them to crack.

I plan on getting this bike fixed properly.

Does anyone know the validity of the heat treating rumor? And does anyone know if these are 6061 or 7005 or something else? Not sure if the frame builder I take it to will need this info.

Thanks!

doesn't the difficulty in repairing alum frames depend on the series of alum? if 7000 series, then welding without heat treating afterwards is fine. but if any other series, you have to heat treat to get the strength back up?

another option, which isn't the prettiest is to press on reinforcement cups onto the head tube.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=274577

RockiMtn":zg15na8r said:
doesn't the difficulty in repairing alum frames depend on the series of alum? if 7000 series, then welding without heat treating afterwards is fine. but if any other series, you have to heat treat to get the strength back up?

another option, which isn't the prettiest is to press on reinforcement cups onto the head tube.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=274577
I talked to Paul at Rock Lobster at length about it.

He agrees that 7000 series is easier - based on simpler heat treating method - and even suggested that if I'm willing to not ride the bike for a month, that it would probably be fine to ride, sans heat treating.

he said the welding rod and actual welding was the same, though.

FTW didn't seem to think this was an issue, at all.

I've had several 6061 bikes fixed and never had issues.

And regarding press fitting a reinforcement, or hose clamps, or whatever. I'm sort of forced to replace the whole head tube. The last owner epoxied a threaded headset into the frame. Do you know how hard it is to find a good suspension fork in 1-1/4 threaded?? What a PITA.

well best of luck getting the frame sorted. it's gorgeous and it be a real shame if it's life stopped here.

i have a few 1-1/4" manitou crowns spare if you want to take that route.

Nice, glad to see this is in good hands again. Hopefully you can get it sorted. And yes, I did ride it a handful of times when I owned it. However, it was only on the street while towing my son in a trailer. :)

Latest posts

Back