1992 Alpinestars Al Mega XT - update 13/06/16

Re: 1992 Alpinestars Al Mega XT

Thanks to Jim (jimi911) for giving me the idea of using Sharpie Neon markers to recolour my AlMegaXT. You're a genius man!

From badly faded and completely white in parts, the decals now pop against the contrast of the plain black frame! It's a huge improvement on this mini-restoration of mine and cost me just £4.00! I also touched up the several paint chips and scrapes on the black paint with a permanent black Sharpie!

I now love this bike even more. It's presented much better, but it's still rough enough not to worry about pampering. I didn't hate it before, but wanted to do something to improve its very worn appearance without getting expensive or even stripping and repainting, as the worn parts just look tired on a fresh frame and I can't justify doing that. My other two Astars fit the bill for shiny 'lookers only'.

I'm gonna be riding this one at Mayhem - a few more bits to change before then: cassette (I have a not-so worn HG70 12-28 to replace this fugly black no-name cluster), a new chain, new axles and new Smoke & Dart, but until then it's getting gentle rides to and from work on the slicks :)

Fitted NOS Smoke & Dart Classic re-issue, an old HG90 12-28 cassette I bought in '94 (!) and some new neon pink ODI Attack grips. The Maguras have been re-bled for a third time and properly adjusted after having the wheels retensioned and trued. I also swapped the front wheel with one of a pair I bought from minifreak last year - a blie Hope Titanium hub on Mavic M231 rim that matches the original M231 on the rear XT hub. There's a NOS XT M732 front skewer and old DX M650 rear skewer, but I might look for some bling anodised skewers.

It's now MUCH lighter - the slick tyres that were on it obviously weigh a ton and that crap cassette hardly a weight-weenie's dream. The Hope hub obviously helps a bit.

Roll on Mayhem where it'll have a Tioga Disk Drive fitted that currently with my LBS. Managed to obtain NOS Deore XT M732 36h hub and NOS Mavic M231 PSP 36h rim with a load of NOS Sugino hardware for the disc (nipples, screws and hub bolts galore, so it should be sweet once built!

It rides lovely!

Some pics...

You've got an ace collection of Alpinestars going on... The Disc ... will just make it complete...

Cheshire1980":3ikc8kkv said:
You've got an ace collection of Alpinestars going on... The Disc ... will just make it complete...
Thanks man!
I'm not sure the TDD will suit it as much as it does a more expensive machine (I don't recall seeing pics of anyone BITD with an Alpinestars running a disc that was almost as costly as the bike itself) but they look the nuts on pretty much everything and it's gonna make the 14-year old inside my head a very happy boy haha! :D

Whereabouts in South Wales are you?

They'd been in a box in the attic for over 20 years until being hung on the garage wall a man ornament for the past few months gathering dust, but I recently managed to get a shorter threaded 1¼" steerer for my old Mag20 forks so gave them a bit of a polish and clean today, also fitted some genuine NOS RockShox decals (not Mag ones but good enough for a spruce up!).
I promise they don't look anywhere as good as the 'after' photo in the flesh! (It's trickery from the sunlight :p) They were repainted (badly!) by myself aged 16 using a Halfords random shade of gold in a rattle can, no lacquer, for a school project :oops:
Gave them a little rub down and a few coats of car wax and they've got a bit of a shine now. Also re-polished the brake bridge with Autosol and waxed that too. :cool:
Pumped them up and they're holding air just fine. Also got a NOS pair of wiper seals for them.
I should have them fitted before Mayhem. :D
Before 'n' after:

I love these bikes as they just look so :cool: and yours just seems to look to damn good to be chanced lying around at work even if isn't pristine i'd still worry over it :facepalm: .

Excellent work as usual mate and i'll be keeping tabs on your next one ;) ,,

Back