1991 Pine Mountain on "slicks" and closer ratios

Re: Derailleur capacity / gears

Is it the rear mech that came with it? I have a pine mountain (92 rather than 91) and what I believe to be the original rear mech seems wrong. I believe original front and rear cogs too.

My knowledge is only just reaching the level where I would have any understanding but LBS told me they though rear mech set-up was wrong and it's already broken one chain and shifting to lower gears is problematic.

MMM, looks nice..on a 1991 Pine Mtn, one of my favourite bikes. Pity 15.5" ones are so rare.

I think originally it would have had a long cage DX rear mech.

I originally bought the frame + forks off here as size smaller than my 1992 Eldridge (and I believe the frames were same between models anyway) with intention of moving bits across, well anyway plans changed and have kept my 1992 which I bought new as is.

The kit in photo above is a Deore DX hub on Mavic 231 rim, but a closer ratio 13-23 block and then a short cage XT rear mech, originally I think it would have been DX, and 12-28 block which would be a long cage despite what brochure in archive says.

On the 1992 models, the gear mechs were upgraded to XT, I think, but this is from archive, best bet is someone who has had one from new, or one of the resident experts.............

Back