1991 GT Zaskar 16"-Part Out Or Not To Part Out....?

abr303

Retro Guru
Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while so testing the water....Even though it pains me to do so, I'm thinking of parting out my gorgeous 1991 GT Zaskar as it's never been ridden since I rebuilt/restored it 3 years ago. It ended up being a 'too nice' to ride bike with many NOS parts but was never my intention for this to be the case and it just sits hanging up in the living room :LOL: It's a DX build, nearly all of it NOS prior to being built, NOS DX hubs on NOS Mavic XC 717 36 hole (built by Dan @ HCW with DT Comp spokes), fresh Mag 21's (serviced by Wadsy but never ridden since service, need air but have misplaced shock pump but do hold air no problem prior) Want to gauge possibly who wants what first and if enough interest I'll strip the bike and list a break down of parts and prices....I've other projects ongoing (car and bike) so this may well be going if there's enough interested parties. If genuinely interested can you pm me first. Cheers.

xYCeY4Xl.jpg

kHzJHEcl.jpg

STZ1Fhtl.jpg

lqCJ3jRl.jpg

VOsOksKl.jpg

kN7W0Fsl.jpg

zmdSMECl.jpg

CCZXMgjl.jpg

I've other projects ongoing (car and bike) so this may well be going if there's enough interested parties. Cheers.

That bike looks ace :cool:! Love rear u-brake GTs.
A shame (crime ;)) to keep it indoors: just go out and ride it.
There is no such thing as 'too nice to ride', in my opinion; that's what the bike and parts were intended for.

Possibly the nicest DX build I have ever seen. Biggest question for me would be how much are you looking to get? If you are not in need of cash, I would keep it! Down the road you are going to bite yourself for selling it!

Maybe as an indicator: I recently saw a spotless 1991 Zaskar with complete XC Pro and Syncros stem/bar/post sell for 850EUR. I didn't have suspension, so I would guess that you could get about the same price for yours. Just a personal opinion though.

Double-E F":3qcoa7hx said:
There is no such thing as 'too nice to ride', in my opinion; that's what the bike and parts were intended for.

Thanks, it was in a right state when I first got hold of it, bit of a mess to say the least... :shock: Love the U-brake too, feels and looks so beefy, typical of the period plus it was nos too. I get the riding it bit but if I've not ridden it in 3 years then I doubt In will in the future hence part of the reason why I'm building another steed up....that one's definitely getting ridden as I'll not be so hell bent on getting nos parts for it :LOL: The other reason is I'll not be so gutted if I can't keep it rubber side down when trail side :LOL:

abr303":wxtjq1tb said:
Double-E F":wxtjq1tb said:

Thanks, it was in a right state when I first got hold of it, bit of a mess to say the least... :shock: Love the U-brake too, feels and looks so beefy, typical of the period plus it was nos too. I get the riding it bit but if I've not ridden it in 3 years then I doubt In will in the future hence part of the reason why I'm building another steed up....that one's definitely getting ridden as I'll not be so hell bent on getting nos parts for it :LOL: The other reason is I'll not be so gutted if I can't keep it rubber side down when trail side :LOL:

:LOL: I see..

Great that you added the before pic! Nice Syncros seatpost, BTW..

oldefortran":1f4v6sen said:
Possibly the nicest DX build I have ever seen. Biggest question for me would be how much are you looking to get? If you are not in need of cash, I would keep it! Down the road you are going to bite yourself for selling it!

Maybe as an indicator: I recently saw a spotless 1991 Zaskar with complete XC Pro and Syncros stem/bar/post sell for 850EUR. I didn't have suspension, so I would guess that you could get about the same price for yours. Just a personal opinion though.

Cheers :D It was that or XT but went down the sentimental route as I'd wanted a Zaskar in my teens and when I bought my first proper mtb it had DX on it. I'm not in need of the cash, but it would come in handy towards my other projects if I'm totally honest. It's the 'shall I keep it or move it on' dilemma for me.

Cheers on the price indicator too..... its always hard to price something up like that as I know how much I've put into it (plus a lot of hours polishing :LOL: ) but at the end of the day its only worth what someone else is prepared to pay.... be easier to part out was my thinking especially during these troubling times currently.

Double-E F":2ydi25aw said:
abr303":2ydi25aw said:
Double-E F":2ydi25aw said:

:LOL: I see..

Great that you added the before pic! Nice Syncros seatpost, BTW..

Nice to have the comparison :) Sadly the Syncros seatpost went in the bin, too far gone to do anything with :cry:

I don´t understand why not to ride. Yes, no mud or whater, buy why not some road and fun paths? I have work hard in my retro mtb and looks like new, but I have rode and still looks like new, they are made to be ridden.

Back