1991 Alpinestars Ti-Mega - The update 23-01-12

Titanium is a brittle material and I truly doubt it was damaged during the shipment. Titanium will fatigue over time and starts with a small hairline crack (perhaps a defect in the tube and repeated stress cycles to the weak spot) then gets worse over time. At least you can see the advancement of the crack and not like carbon where you get no warning at all. I also have Ti bikes so I watch stress areas and look for cracks. Hopefully the bike maker will replace (you cannot effectively repair that crack or replace that tube like steel) the frame as a part of the warranty if the bike was not raced. Hopefully the frame maker has a good policy.
I also think the frame's rear stay is a suspect and really bad design thus it will encourage this failure if the bike was truly used as intended. I have my own opinion about whether the seller decided to disclosed this defect or not.

Such a real shame to see something like that happen to such a nice frame. I don't think the courier has caused that though, not in a million years. The seller probably did not even notice it before selling it.

After chatting to you last night Steve I know how gutted you are, and I am gutted for you :( :(

Now I see pic's not nice at all, hope you can get couriers to sort this out. :( :(

The heat (incorrect temperature) that was used to weld that horizontal tube made the rear chain stay very weak. I think the bike maker should replace the frame (if still in business) at no cost and the maker must have seen these defects showing up. The design is unique and eye catching but having too much heat around the stress point is asking for trouble.

BTW: Please follow around that horizontal tube (including your down tube) and inspect for cracks. Your down tube also takes a lot of repeated stress as well. You may need a magnifying glass to see the fine crack(s).

MN_Runner":q255xjdr said:
Titanium is a brittle material and I truly doubt it was damaged during the shipment. Titanium will fatigue over time and starts with a small hairline crack (perhaps a defect in the tube and repeated stress cycles to the weak spot) then gets worse over time. At least you can see the advancement of the crack and not like carbon where you get no warning at all. I also have Ti bikes so I watch stress areas and look for cracks. Hopefully the bike maker will replace (you cannot effectively repair that crack or replace that tube like steel) the frame as a part of the warranty if the bike was not raced. Hopefully the frame maker has a good policy.
I also think the frame's rear stay is a suspect and really bad design thus it will encourage this failure if the bike was truly used as intended. I have my own opinion about whether the seller decided to disclosed this defect or not.

Dude, are you for real? Before posting anything else please find the time to research Alpinestars, the previous owner and this owner. I can't even begin to describe how wrong you are on pretty much everything above!!!

I am not real - my brain must be frozen in the cold but it is not cracked. It would be educational if you can point out what is (are) incorrect. The crack looks like it started just below the horizontal tube. It looks like a fatigue failure due to defect.

gripped chief,such a sweet frame and it must be gutting for both you and mark. can ti really not be saved???????

Rob Atkin":3pfiid6y said:
MN_Runner":3pfiid6y said:

Dude, are you for real? Before posting anything else please find the time to research Alpinestars, the previous owner and this owner. I can't even begin to describe how wrong you are on pretty much everything above!!!

I must say I always found this design a bit risky for a ti frame, steel would be less of a problem. Getting a replacement from the builder would be impossible though. :LOL: In the end it doesn't matter how the crack got there, it's still a tragedy. It's a beautiful frame, and indeed a legendary retrobike. I hope there is a good outcome to this sad story.

Latest posts

Back