1991 Alpinestars Cro-mega - Build finished, 17.03.2012

you could do white base with a forced patina like some of those VW folk do

So, a few weeks on and I have been hammering the paypal account gathering the parts needed for the build. Got everything now except a headset which is on it's way from Holland so thought I should get on with the paint. Now as the weather has warmed up a bit I got the primer on the frame today.

Primer1.jpg

If the weather stays mild I should be able to get some colour on it on Friday. I got some Aston Martin pearlescent white and Halfords fluro yellow to reproduce the 1991 al-mega dx paint job. Gil has done some excellent decals so it should look the dogs ... when it's done.

It's been a long wait for the milder temperatures but today was the day for spraying the yellow. The fluro yellow is not good at covering. It seems more like a tinted clearcoat than paint. Built up some layers and it's not too bad.

Yellow%2520coat.jpg

The yellow dried to a matt finish so I would guess that once the clearcoat goes over the top it will gloss up. Got the forks done as well.

Forks.jpg

Difficult to get the fluro on without it running as you say, looks like you've done well though. Looking forward to further up dates.

Although I was unsure about the fluro paint finish i decided I just wanted to get on and finish this build. So on with the decals which are by Gil_m to my design and perfect for the colour scheme. I left out the groupset designation and changed the tiger stripes to remove the yellow from the cro-mega design. Once they were fitted and the clearcoat applied the concerns over the paint were gone. The clearcoat lifted the fluro and the pearl sheen from the white. The combination of the paint and the decals really pops.

Clearcoat.jpg
Decals2.jpg
Decals1.jpg

Hard to tell the true colour in the outdoor shots as the sun was so bright today but it looks amazing. I am picking up a headset press tomorrow off a mate so by this time next week I will be riding this bad boy. :D

Got time to fit the components today from my parts bin. Everything seems set up right on the stand but it's raining now so I'm going to wait until tomorrow for the test ride.

24.03.2012b.jpg

Back