1990's Rourke - A winter bike project

NeilM":6xty1n3k said:
Sand_Dune":6xty1n3k said:
Have you thought about black handlebar tape?
Yes.

And dismissed the idea as heresy.

Whilst being burnt at the stake, dipped in the chair and being tortured until rempentance...(all at once)...and being unrepentent. ;)

It's still a beautiful build...just love the bold colours.

Anyways I best get back to being burnt with fire!

;)

Re:

Well, it is done and it is rid, and very nice it was too.

Carbon cranks plus light tubeless wheels mean it is about the lightest road bike I have, and the first 653 road frame I have ridden and I like it.... a lot. The steel forks feel almost identical to the Mizuno carbon forks I have on the 853, and as they came from the 853 frame in the first place I feel a bit foolish not having used them on that bike, but as a bonus they have replaced the lost originals from this frame, which were identical.

Climbing is a little harder than the 853 thanks to the slightly longer gearing (53/36 vs 50/34), but I can live with that and it's good for the cardio work out anyway. Handling in every respect is superb, when I kick (relative term) it kicks, when you brake (OAP driver) it stops on a sixpence with no drama and it corners as well as my Deda Zero Lloyd, so happy happy all the way.

Sum pix.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

The bike looks great and the colour coordination works well. It was seeing your build thread that persuaded me to go the powder coating route for my old Peugeot. I am 98% pleased with my job, but would maybe think about doing some premasking myself in future as they got coating in the B.B. Pleased that yours rides so well and looks so good......Congrats.

Re:

Sand-Dune, the tyres are Schwalbe Pro1. Like most tubeless tyres they were a bit of a phaff to get inflated the first time, but I managed it without resorting to a compressor.

Lackluster, the masking on the frame was fine, I did need to do some prep on it especially around the steering tube. Like you I am 98% happy with it, if you know where to look there is a small area on the seat tube which is not quite as orange and which has the primer coat just visible through the top coat, but I can live with it as they have tried really hard to keep the frame weight down and as it will spend most of the winter covered in cr.... erm, road spray, then I'm more than happy with the job.

Great stuff Neil, very smart. do have a carbon ride to compare times with?

Lackluster, as for masking, the powdercoaters use a green heat resistant tape, my local guy has been quite happy for me to borrow a roll and do the masking myself as its one less job for him and if it goes wrong I can only blame myself. Ps the tape is pretty expensive so he always wants it back (mores the shame)

Re:

Yes Chris, I have a KTM Revelator 3500 which has been my winter ride for the past three (maybe four) years. It weighs and rides about the same as my summer 853 Rourke and has similar gearing to Rourke Too but as my riding / training fluctuates the best time to compare will be this winter as I am getting ready for HONC 2019 and Mayhem 2019.

My average speed for the shakedown ride was good, for me, at 26.4 kph, that's about as fast as I have done that circuit which is 43k and has 358m of climbing.

I realised when fiddling with the bike yesterday that at some point after I took the motorway bridge photo I lost my Ass Saver, so I'll try and get out tomorrow afternoon and see if I can find it.... not much hope.

Re: Re:

NeilM":293mt437 said:
I realised when fiddling with the bike yesterday that at some point after I took the motorway bridge photo I lost my Ass Saver, so I'll try and get out tomorrow afternoon and see if I can find it.... not much hope.

I saw this and thought of your ass saver.../rear spoiler. :facepalm:

Attachments

• image-thumb.png
    image-thumb.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 206
Back