1990 yeti ultimate 'new recent photo's added'.

Looks almost like roman roads. I'm looking forward to doing more rigid riding this summer and brushing up on my skills. I always found it weird how little padding there are in modern gloves. In the 1990s I remember all my gloves has super thick padding. I wore some padded gloves out with the dog on a rigid ride this weekend and it became clear why gloves were padded then and less so now... suspension. The padded gloves made my rigid "dog loop" a lot more comfortable.

cyclotoine":tc4bakad said:
Looks almost like roman roads. I'm looking forward to doing more rigid riding this summer and brushing up on my skills. I always found it weird how little padding there are in modern gloves. In the 1990s I remember all my gloves has super thick padding. I wore some padded gloves out with the dog on a rigid ride this weekend and it became clear why gloves were padded then and less so now... suspension. The padded gloves made my rigid "dog loop" a lot more comfortable.

Hi again,

I know what you mean about the old style gloves, ive got a pair of early 90's cannondale gloves some where, and the padding is pretty good in them..
Pearl izumi make some good gloves, but still the padding isnt as good as it used to be..

The grips on this yeti are old, and the compound used on them is very soft, almost like the old 80's bmx grips ( a'me rounds).. and soak up a lot of bumps.
But ive just bought some new yeti grips for another bike, they look the same. But the rubber is a lot harder than the old ones, making them nowhere as good as the originals..

I know im a rigid 'rigid' fan, but i will one day like to have a go of a full suspension bike...., i think i might just be putting it off, because of the chance of being converted and not wanting to go back to my old bikes :(

Martin

Believe it or not, that rocky track in that image , used to be a cave ! it collapsed 1000's of years ago, Its a brilliant place to ride, the hill in the distance also forms part of the round trip.

Re: I remember this bike

This Yeti Ultimate was the coolest bike around our streets in the early 90s. We all wanted one! How's it going Reddy? It was good to find the picture of you flying on your bike. Get in touch mate I've still got my splitty. Seddon :)

Re:

^^Bloody hell paul^^ ....

How the hell are you mate ?

I never thought for one second you would find me here on RB... :D

Cant believe it paul, i was only telling a friend ' last night ' about a ride we did, the one where i forgot my seat & seat post.... will never forget that...

Red.

PM sent

Re:

Haha I always tell that story too :) we got you a seat and post to borrow which was way too short but you still did the ride. A true pro!!!

Re:

Finally, ive just got round to servicing the old ultimate..

After many years of trouble free cycling, i feel sad having to replace my incredibly strong & very reliable mavic 'paris dakars'....., :( Although they are nearly 25 years old they still run true and the hubs are good enough to transfer to a new build..., its just the rim side walls are very close to failing. sooooooo thin... so these are now shelved..

For the moment im using a set of NOS mavic 517's, But because early ultimates have wide seat stays & 517's are very narrow, Setting the brakes up was a nightmare.. I will be replacing them with a set of nearly mint mavic M7's in the very near future. ( just need building ).

Also swapped out the old cables in favour of NOS shimano 2mm brake cables..

The gear outers are all grey xtr jobbies now.

The original silver yeti cable ferrules ( now on the fro ) have been changed to blue anodized ones.

Also fitted a avocet 30 cyclometer..

And lastly, Good old ' red ' Z max's are back on , the front being 2.1 ( had this tyre since 93 with no signs of perishing ).
The rear being 1.9 and is a recent ebay purchase, again no signs of perishing.

Every thing else on the bike is good and just needed checking..

Ive been out nearly every day on this bike, so will get some photo's up soon..

Just the one photo for now..

1990 yeti ultimate by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Re:

The day this photo was taken ended with a 7 mile walk :( ....

I had only mentioned the night before, How good my pump WAS !!!! which was 25 years old !!! well at the furthest away point on my local trail i got my first puncture in many years, should say 2 punctures !!
I fixed one, then disaster ....., my pump broke :facepalm:
There is 2 routes back, but both equal in distance, but thought i should stick to the main trail, there's a good chance of meeting another biker with a pump.........., Not the case :( although a few did stop, no one had a pump !!! apart from a guy on his cyclocross bike....., and guess what ? his pump would not work with my valves.. :facepalm:
The walk was far from fun, having to keep the back wheel of the floor..., i eventually got help from a guy parked up in his car, who just happened to have a car pump...., other wise it would have been another 6 mile walk......., oh well, i now have a new pump...

1990 yeti ultimate by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Back