1990 Scott Pro Racing , finished (almost) pg12

Re: 1991 Scott Pro Racing , progress pictures page 11

Looking good mate. Is your Avocet saddle the Scott branded one? If not I have one that I could swap/sell if you're interested?

:) Cheers Raidan , I managed to get a Scott branded avocet for this build

But I may be interested in another soon , drop me a picture or two of yours when you get five , and let me know what sort of figure or trades you might be looking for it :)

Mike, :LOL: nope its not finished yet, very close, but still need a front mech, cables, brake blocks, and that headset ;)

Re:

Update time.,

Most of the parts that I have shown in previous postings are now sitting happily on this , however the wheels that I was going to use , found a new home on Scott no 2 as I felt they were just too modern looking and not really inkeeping with the production year of the frameset, so off they went and in came these.

I hasten to add , that these wheels didn't come without their problems, and what originally started off as being a 'bargain' , were in fact anything other. I'll explain .

I'd managed to spot these at a local car boot sale, originally when I spied them, they were on Araya rims, running 7 rusty gears on some unbranded grime covered hubs,(I discovered along the journey that they are a Sachs built hub) they seeemed really light , sort of magpie shiny underneath the grime and best of all a bargain price, deal done, price bartered and notes exchanged, happy campers all round.

I expected to have to strip and regrese them , possibly a true, and for sure a damm good clean, nothing too bad right.... Wrong !! :facepalm:

When I finally got round to opening them up , I found that the front axle had snapped in half and was held magically together with some sort of sticky , possibly in a former life, grease like substance :roll: , to add further insult all but a few of the spoke nipples had sized totally solid to the rim :?

By this time the 'buy cheap , buy twice bells' had started to ring aloud, and the smiling face of the seller came rushing back :roll:

How much worse could it be, holding that thought for a nano second.

I then discovered that the rear rim had corroded away badly from the inside and also had the added bonus of a hairline crack running through it :facepalm: ,

At this point , words that were exchanged between the aforementioned 'bargain' wheels and myself are not publishable on this forum :oops:

So my hard earned down the drain , whisky in hand , it was time to see if I had anything salvageable from my bargain hunt :facepalm:

Further inspection revealed that both front and rear hub bearing races were perfect, no pitting, no scores , marks, dents , not even a tiny crack :shock: :LOL: , Hell!! even once I'd removed the rusty cassette the freehub body spun lovely and smooth.

Undetered and not willing to go down without a fight policy ,save face, et all that, I decided to source some rims, spokes, and have a drunken bash at wheel building :)

Considering their original state and where they are at now, rebuilt and all shiny , radial laced and all racy like , to say I'm pleased with the result would be the understatement of the decade.

Questions personally asked, was it financially good sense .. :shock: Your joking ..right!! :facepalm: ,, has it tought me something,.. Definitely,,.. is saving old stuff worth it., erm.. Maybe.. :LOL: , would I do it all over again..... Not on your flipping life ..

More to follow soon..

I am sorry to hear you had to go through all that trouble, but for me dealing with retro bikes is about rescuing old stuff and I totally agree; nothing about it has financially good sense.

Re:

Hi dare , thank you for the comments and in part I do agree with rescuing and restoring retro parts where-ever possible, hopefully you will see this along the course of my projects :D

I do think however, there has to be certain aspects considered with restoring retro items before throwing finances and time into the project.

For example , had I bought a rare frame which was only produced in very limited numbers and initially was of high quality and manufacture, I would not hesitate investing time and finances into restoring it to its original condition same thinking would come into play on rare parts etc.

In this situation with the wheels , they were neither rare nor precious and I don't think many would have gone down the total rebuild route.

The cost of spokes and rims alone , without the cost of additional tooling I needed to acquire, to undertake the rebuild, far outweigh the returned finished quality on these wheels, and certainly when financially worked out , I could have bought a higher quality wheelset for less outlay.

That being said i decided to undertake the rebuild, and swallowed the costs involved regardless, as wheel building is something I wanted to try.

I'd like to add however, all being said and done, this part of the project was rewarding (especially the alcohol consumed during) and tought me new skills, along with now owing possibly the most expensive non boutique restored wheelset available :LOL:

So what you say is that a hobby is about having fun and killing time? Wow. I'll have to rethink :LOL:

Very nice work btw. I love it.

Re:

Nice work on the wheels mate, thank goodness the hubs weren't toast as well ! :facepalm:

Looking forward to the finished bike ;)

Mike

Re:

Thanks Mike :) , Those hubs themselves were the only bloody thing that was salvageable and made it out alive :facepalm:

Which frankly given the amount of swearing and the consequential launching of said newly aquired car boot wheels amazes me at how they now actually resemble a wheelset :shock:

I'm really not sure how long it's going to take before the 'finished' bike will appear, :oops:
I wouldn't hold your breath, after all I'm not one to rush :LOL: and I do have moments of should I change the build :? , should I change the build , hmm now you mention it :facepalm:
hopefully I'd like to think within the next month it'll be where I want it and that's providing the wind doesn't change direction :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

Nearly done, took it out today for a winter shake down, love the,waŷ this steel frame rides, currently wearing winter wheels and,mainly XT components, , may change,the gripshift units over to thumb shifters just to compliment the other Xt parts, saddle is temporary until I find the right one I want, and the seatpost will be changes when I find the elusive syncros number, other than a few tweeks here and their , I love it, it's been an enjoyable project , thanks to all those that helped along the way, and as always comments are welcome.

Ian

Back