1990 Saracen Eiger Comp "Gravel"

Re:

Apparently not. It seems to be a choice between silver, silver painted black or explore the viable combinations of V's and drop levers. Dubiuos about the last one and it limits shifter choice to bar end jobbies.

Re: 1990 Saracen Eiger Competition

Dale cannon":1z25cxnx said:
Looking good, glad it found a good home.

Thanks again....it is a welcome distraction just now!

I have brakes sorted now. Planet X are doing a full set of Tektro Oryx for £20...
these get mixed reviews but I'll give them a go. A cheapy quill to ahead adapter is on the way to allow a test fit of drops.

Re:

Some progress.......

The ahead to quill adapter is n't the prettiest thing but does the job. The stem is over long at 120mm, a 90mm would be ideal but this one will do as a stop gap. I have de-logo'd the seat post now since it wasn't all visible.

Shifters will be 2nd gen Campag Ergo's as I have found these versatile if you don't mind persenering with set up. Front derailleur probably Deore m510 or 530 to match the rear. Crank choice is still up in the air...I could rob the Claris one from my winter bike (which means sorting one of the others as a replacement), tidy up a scruffy 105 HT2 set (which means buying a BB) or use a Specialized Stout 4 arm set (which means buying crank bolts and an inner ring)...so none are immediatley straightforward. rings will be either 46/34 or 48/32 depending which set goes on.

I quite like it with drops, it doesn't look as frankenbike as I expected!

Attachments

• 20200403_191352sm.jpg
    20200403_191352sm.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 478

Slight change of plan....found a Raceface 36t ring from a 2x set so going to try this as 1x9 and see what it's like.

Re:

Now with shifters and cranks......

The reach to the hoods is too long but pretty sure a 90mm stem woild be about right. Quite looking forward to a ride when it's finished!

Attachments

• 20200415_190757.jpg
    20200415_190757.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 425

The colour scheme is beautiful, nice colour with all black components does it for me.

Just was about to write about the reach - shorter stem should help, if i doesn't, then modern drop bars will. There are lots of compact ones with shorter reach and more anatomic shape, when I did drop bar conversion, this was what saved it. Didn't expect such a difference, but the bike just suddenly moved from "meh" to my favourite.

Re:

Liking this... looks good and is getting a makeover to make it fit a niche in your stable? Great idea...

Thanks both.

The bars are better than they look in the picture and are marked 85mm reach, not as nice as the 70mm reach Specialized ones I have on another bike though, so shorter reach 'bars are a thought to bear in mind when trying get it comfortable! I can borrow a 90mm stem of my NRS to try when it is nearer finished so I will start there and see.

Maybe get something more done over the weekend .....

Re:

Progress is slow, mainly because there is no hurry, but I am making progress.

Today I reacquainted myself with cantilever brakes for the first time since about 1998! Fitting a new piece of outer cable through the top tube went better than I expected. The rear is done tho not set up perfectly, looks good tho.

Attachments

• 20200504_190720.jpg
    20200504_190720.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 372
Re: Re:

kipperthedog":xmjrlq2k said:
Now with shifters and cranks......

The reach to the hoods is too long but pretty sure a 90mm stem woild be about right. Quite looking forward to a ride when it's finished!

That's looking really good the colours are a perfect match,top work.

Back