1990 Ribble 531 refurb.

Sir Neil d'Menture

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I was given a Ribble 531 frameset, as long as I went to Knutsford to collect it, c1990 vintage, and a box of mismatched bits and pieces. The frame had been rattle can sprayed (very badly) lemon yellow, but where scratches and rubbing had occurred some orange paint had been brushed on. Cosmetically awful, but it built up into a bike that I used through the winter on the turbo. I was glad to have been given it.

Once the weather improved and I was back out on the road thoughts turned to a lockdown project. A local firm quoted £60 to shotblast and single colour powdercoat the frame. I snapped his hand off, as you would. The spares box was rifled and several trips to the Bay of Eeees were made.
There was never any attempt to recreate an authentic Ribble from the early 90s. At that time upstairs at the Ribble shop was stacked full of framesets. You chose your size and colour, added a few shiny bits and a couple of hours later you had a completely original new bike. Every bike was different, and they were all more or less the same!

This is more or less Shimano 105, with a Stronglight crankset. Apart from the powdercoating the most expensive purchase was the decals and a can of Max 2k lacquer.

My idea was just to make the bike look smart; it will be used for nothing more than quick trips into the village and turbo duties during bad weather. A lot of work for not a lot of use, but what else can we do stuck at home? I just enjoyed working on an old steel frame once more - I'd forgotten how easy they were to work on. It has been a fun project and I wouldn't mind doing another but SWMBO has completely knocked that idea!!!

Some pictures...

Thanks for that.
I know it might upset the purists, but there's no rules about how a bike should look or what gear should be on it. It will be good enough for me.
I did have a ride on it when waiting for the decals to come. It's certainly different from my carbon fibre jobbies.
Brakes are 105 calipers with 105 Brifters. The calipers are PIA to adjust. I think they might be a bit knackered but they do work.
I could choose between these and a pair of RSX brakes but chose these as more in keeping with the rest of the gear. RSX will be in classifieds soon - along with all the other surplus bits and pieces.

Sir Neil d'Menture":3r6ztcwq said:
Thanks for that.
I know it might upset the purists, but there's no rules about how a bike should look or what gear should be on it. It will be good enough for me....
Couldn't agree more with these sentiments too. I like to hear the arguments for the 'do it this way, or that way is sacrilege', it's fun to get other people's perspective and viewpoints, but in the end, I will make the decisions on how my bikes are built based on my own priorities!

Re: Re:

Holiocornolio":k0p29nj0 said:
Oooh I could be interested in those RSX brake calipers. Don't suppose you could post a pic?
Here you are.
I'm not sure on the rules re selling on here as I've not done much of it. I've no idea what to ask - I'll have to trawl through completed sales on the Bay of Eeees! they seem in good nick. Arms move freely and no major cosmetic damage.
Your thoughts?

Holiocornolio":34l9v7y7 said:
Yeah they look good to me. I'm not sure about selling / buying either. New to it myself
Do you just want calipers? I have a pair of 105 levers, and cables, inner and outer, that are also looking for a good home.

Back