1990 R.M.O. Gitane FINISHED! 9th May

Re: 1990 Gitane Team Replica

How is this progressing Mike? Any updates?

The Sachs New Success brakes on my Corsa are made by Modolo and have the same little rubber bump stop on the back of the arm. I don't know if that is a common sort of thing for quality road bike parts, but it's a nice little touch. :cool:

Re: 1990 Gitane Team Replica

firedfromthecircus":1s76wfp5 said:
How is this progressing Mike? Any updates?

The Sachs New Success brakes on my Corsa are made by Modolo and have the same little rubber bump stop on the back of the arm. I don't know if that is a common sort of thing for quality road bike parts, but it's a nice little touch. :cool:

Funny you mention it, I'm just about to do a small update ;)
Bare with me :roll:

Mike

Re:

Sorry it's been a while, Ive been busy with ona them mtb thingys :facepalm:

Anyway, small update for you to bring you up to date.

Having got the wheels home yesterday ( taken from a Merckx Corsa that was being split, Barry!), I took off the freehub and washed them all today,

The wheels came with amberwall Michelin Dynamic Classic tyres. It would have been ideal to have kept them on there, being French. However, having done a three hour ride on them today on another bike, they won't be going back on. Dynamic, my bottom!
These are temporary, until I can afford something else I have my eye on.
Also this week, the silver brakes arrived. I thought they would be a good match for the other components, and a nice contrast to the black. However, when I got them home, I realised just how chunky they look compared to the Modolo ones I have.

So I don't really know what to do now. Modolo as they are? Strip the Modolo and polish them? Or use the Sachs ones instead?
What do you think?
Also today, I cleaned up the Mavic rear mech.

Was surprised to find there are roller bearings in the jockey wheels :shock: how cool is that?
Also noticed there is Brevete stamped into them, are they made under licence by Campag?

Started to clean up the underside of the saddle, as the rails had more rust than I was comfortable with.
One done, one to go.

I used Solvol Autosol, but for the worst bits I used fine wet or dry paper, dry before polishing. Seems to be coming up ok.
Also Polished the frame in the week. as well as putting in the bottom bracket, headset, the chainset, bars, stem and brake levers.
Unfortunately, I didn't get chance to take photos today, but will do when I get the chance.

I think that's all for now. Looking for a seatpost next, in 26.6 and 350mm long. Will have to wait until I get paid again for that though. Do you remember that, waiting to get paid before buying things? :LOL: :roll:

Hope you like it so far folks, I do ;)

Mike

Attachments

• Gitane update  6.jpg
    Gitane update 6.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 628
  • Gitane update.jpg
    Gitane update.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 629
  • Gitane update 3.jpg
    Gitane update 3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 629
  • Gitane update 5.jpg
    Gitane update 5.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 629
  • Gitane update 4.jpg
    Gitane update 4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 628
  • Gitane update 2.jpg
    Gitane update 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 628
Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2x31iqi8 said:
Having got the wheels home yesterday ( taken from a Merckx Corsa that was being split, Barry!)

Sacre Bleu! :x

Mike Muz 67":2x31iqi8 said:
Also this week, the silver brakes arrived. I thought they would be a good match for the other components, and a nice contrast to the black. However, when I got them home, I realised just how chunky they look compared to the Modolo ones I have.

So I don't really know what to do now. Modolo as they are? Strip the Modolo and polish them? Or use the Sachs ones instead?
What do you think?

The silver ones look like the Sachs New Success I have. Of which velobase says:

VeloBase":2x31iqi8 said:

I can't find a reference to modolo quattro. :?

Either way I wouldn't strip the dark brakes. Use your preference as they are I say. ;)

Re:

Well, I prefer the sleeker Modolos to the chunkier Sachs ones, so may try them. Should have got the Mavic ones I suppose :roll:
I couldn't afford the Merckx frame :(

Mike

Re:

That's all looking great Mike.

I like the Sachs brakes, all chunky and engineered and purposeful.

As for the tyres, go to the Michelin web site and read their description, the are recommended for occasional use.

Re:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll look up the Michelin site.

Having looked up the the bike I'm basing it on, I will go with the Sachs ones. They are Mavic branded Sachs ones.

Now, I have booked my seat, let the Tour of Flanders begin! :cool:

Mike

Back