1990 Kona Titanium - FINISHED PAGE 13

Re: Re:

al-onestare":1ms5j3uy said:
klasse":1ms5j3uy said:
Love that you purchased an entire bike just to get after the tires

Speaking of which, how do they perform? Fingers crossed they are better than the later Scratch/Sniff's.

They are just as I remember them from BITD - really good. I've only used them in the dry so far and the Reaction gives great traction whilst the big fat Maximum steers well, even in the patches of deep loose gravel around where I ride.

To be honest they probably won't get used in the wet, in fact I may well remove them for safe keeping soon :roll:

Re:

How the hell did I miss this? :facepalm: I know what it’s like to endlessly scrutinise some grainy images in order to create something that very few people have seen in the flesh but this puts my efforts to shame; fantastic! Gets my BOTM vote.

All together now………….

I can't stand it I know you planned it
I'm gonna set it straight, this watergate
I can't stand rocking when I'm in here
Because your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear
So while you sit back and wonder why
I got this ******* thorn in my side
Oh my, it's a mirage
I'm tellin' y'all it's sabotage

So listen up 'cause you can't say nothin'
You'll shut me down with a push of your button?
But yo I'm out and I'm gone
I'll tell you now I keep it on and on

'cause what you see you might not get
And we can bet so don't you get souped yet
You're scheming on a thing that's a mirage
I'm trying to tell you now it's sabotage

Why; our backs are now against the wall
Listen all of y'all it's a sabotage

I can't stand it, I know you planned it
But I'm gonna set it straight this watergate
But I can't stand rockin' when I'm in this place
Because I feel disgrace because you're all in my face
But make no mistakes and switch up my channel
I'm buddy rich when I fly off the handle
What could it be, it's a mirage
You're scheming on a thing - that's sabotage

Re:

Im stunned to read some of the replies in this thread.

How can this bike be a replica of anything....? what a daft statement.

The TBG never made the Ti frames of this period, much like so many other smaller firms, (the recent ridgeback that came up for sale recently is another case in point.)

All of these frames were out sourced, and added to the range as clearly detailed in the catalogue, and from my memory didn't differ.

They simply never had the Ti experience, Nor the Equipment to make small batch runs Cost effective Yet TI was becoming the Must have Flagship., Christ even "Keith Bontrager" did the same years later using "Sandvik" when the Far east let him Down.

Given all you have done here is exactly what TBG/Kona did 25 years ago, I cant do anything but compliment you for all the hard work.

1, I know how bloody hard it was to get those decals Spot on and the lengths you went too, to ensure colours and materials were correct, especially given Kona Untill now didn't have it archived.

2. Some of the items you found to ensure the "spec Correct" build was spot on, I know was a near impossible task too.

The tyres for example are near impossible to come by after all these years, and to have waited as long as you have to get them, and other items in exceptional condition like the Joes Clips/saddle etc.....Well I take my hat off to you.

I do not know of One other TBG/Merlin in existence, I have only ever seen one and that was 25 years ago. Mate "Stirling" is what you have done here Well Done.

:cool:

Re:

Thanks for the kind words Caspar and Carl. I'm a way off your standards of builds yet but still happy with the outcome. Thanks for your help with the decals too Carl, it was much appreciated and thanks for your comments on the provenance of the build - I don't think I got the point across as well as you did :)

Re:

That's got to be the best bike build I've ever seen.

I'm not usually one for absolute period correctness but it has made me ponder a more correct build on my Hei Hei

Re:

Great build.....really need to get my finger out and finish my 91 HeiHei. Some good inspiration here ;)

Re:

The detail on this build is Excellent, I still love the fact you got the tyres too. :cool:

Back