1990? Dave Quinn Nordkapp

Wish I had a lovely vice like that in my shed šŸ˜ž
Record. Proper bit of kit they are. Itā€™s worth visiting your local car boot sales etc. Iā€™ve seen a few for sale over the years. A couple of years ago whilst cycling I was passing through Redcar. I visited a local boot sale at the racecourse and there was a lovely Record 36 for sale for Ā£30! Iā€™ve spent about half an hour, squatting down beside it, scratching my head, trying to figure out how to get it to London on a fully loaded touring bike, before finally some guy bought it.
I saw you resorted to caustic soda on the Old Dog. Iā€™ve never tried it, but it looks like fun!

So pleased to see this get its own thread. Thatā€™s a brilliant outcome with the seatpost. Itā€™s almost like Campagnolo designed it to have a removable head in the event of getting stuck!

After everything else came out without drama, itā€™s onto the frameā€¦
F4BA4434-0C8A-45F4-85AF-0B01DB66599A.jpeg
Despite looking pretty fresh and healthy from a distance the frame has some signs of aging, as to be expected from being around for over 30 years, albeit mainly standing in a garage. Itā€™s structurally sound and free from dents and scratches, but it has a fair few spots of rust. It isnā€™t too bad, and I do like a nice patina, but I would like to make sure it wonā€™t spread.
FC97844B-F1C9-4749-A0DC-D255BE21A1D7.jpeg
277A5761-8DF0-4788-A3BE-0D8DAED09D8A.jpeg
I bought a gallon of Evaporust a while ago and it worked great on a rusty Roberts stem and some hardware, so I thought I should try it on Dave. As I donā€™t have enough to fully submerge the frame in it, Iā€™ve tried the paper towel and cling film method. Hereā€™s a picture of another frame Iā€™ve treated the same way:
DC1112FD-AF93-4D5C-967D-6368B36237D4.jpeg
It did a good job of the one above, but unfortunately Daveā€™s scars remained the same, which makes me think the rust is under the lacquer. It also dulled the clearcoat a bit as Iā€™ve left the dressing on for a tad too longā€¦ Oh wellā€¦ You live and learn. Time to order another gallon of the stuff and give the frame a nice bath.

Hope the second bath will help with the rust without anymore lacquer damage. I need to get some Evaporust for my (c)rusty Titan 1/2 Trac. Luckily it's just powder coated so pretty robust vs. a sprayed lacquered finish. I probably need to remove the stickers in places (hopefully with just hairdryer/heat gun) so they can be saved as I'm not sure they'll like to be submerged in Evaporust over a long period of time.

Hope the second bath will help with the rust without anymore lacquer damage. I need to get some Evaporust for my (c)rusty Titan 1/2 Trac. Luckily it's just powder coated so pretty robust vs. a sprayed lacquered finish. I probably need to remove the stickers in places (hopefully with just hairdryer/heat gun) so they can be saved as I'm not sure they'll like to be submerged in Evaporust over a long period of time.
Love the 1/2 Trac! Looking forward to seeing more on it.
Evaporust is good stuff. The decals on both frames that Iā€™ve treated with it seem unaffected, but good point as itā€™s something Iā€™ve not really thought much about. The other frame came up real nice, all of the rust magically disappeared. It turned black, but a bit of gentle scrubbing with fine wire wool soaked in GT85 revealed lovely raw steel.
I might try to plug the bb, tape the vent holes etc and fill the frame. I will report back soon.

Love the 1/2 Trac! Looking forward to seeing more on it.
Evaporust is good stuff. The decals on both frames that Iā€™ve treated with it seem unaffected, but good point as itā€™s something Iā€™ve not really thought much about. The other frame came up real nice, all of the rust magically disappeared. It turned black, but a bit of gentle scrubbing with fine wire wool soaked in GT85 revealed lovely raw steel.
I might try to plug the bb, tape the vent holes etc and fill the frame. I will report back soon.
Thanks! The 1/2 Trac is a beautiful unusual beast of a frame. Really looking forward to trying to make progress, but lots of other things getting in the way at the moment. :(

The 1/2 Trac also has zero vent holes on the frame. Assume this is a good thing? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Seems unusual for a TIG'd steel frame to have none.

Back