1990? Dave Quinn Nordkapp

sunympholepsy

98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
As some of you may be aware I was lucky enough to win this beauty (yup,753 tubing and fully loaded with Euclid) on eweBay a while ago. I thought a little update was due. After a couple of failed attempts to collect it, I’ve finally managed to make it to Wales couple of weeks ago, and even though I didn’t have time to ride on the steam train this time, the bike is finally with me.
2D936353-C85C-4549-B9B0-7EF42CAC37B7.jpeg
I am not the best at documenting everything, so the first picture of the whole bike (above) was taken only last week or so when I finally found time to strip it and have a closer look.
First thing I’ve checked when collecting the bike from my mate’s who kindly picked it up from the seller, was the seatpost. I wanted to make sure it was not seized. It was stuck solid! And so I’ve tried to move it by twisting it whilst firmly holding the saddle (definitely not Electa☺️, it’s hideous). Not a chance. It’s not a first stuck seatpost I was dealing with, so I’ve kept my cool and thought I will give it some PlusGas treatment once we’re home. After flipping the frame upside down and spraying a liberal amount of the stuff through the bottle cage bosses on the seat tube I’ve left it for a couple of days for PlusGas to work its magic. A couple of days later I had another go. Using the saddle for leverage again, as I didn’t want to risk damaging the seatpost in the vise. It moved! Or so I thought…
9621DF43-3BF2-4B24-9715-5DE40C495BA7.jpeg
008F2FE2-811B-492F-8C6F-73E6F9ACA84A.jpeg
Oops…

Last edited:
Great to see this surface again! Sorry to hear that the saddle wasn’t an Electa, but instead some gel-filled sofa from the looks of it! 🤣

That isn’t too bad a result from the seatpost. You should be able to either get an engineer friend with a lathe to make you a section of post that you can press the Euclid head/clamp into or source a correct DIA post, chop up and bore out or sleeve it to accept the Euclid head.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses 😎👍

Not the best start. But I am quite stubborn, and very fortunate to have access to a very very well equipped workshop. I’ll figure it out.
As I am learning how to braze etc. I was given a box of very nice frame blocks some time ago by a friend and sometimes mentor. Now if I can find one matching the diameter of the seatpost…
C7B14880-C74E-4DB6-B861-C1F75610BC31.jpeg
Almost perfect. Almost
After using an off cut of an old inner tube to compensate for a 0.6 mm difference, it was ready to meet the big girl
789412AE-6761-4CCF-884E-12C4DAB96F2C.jpeg

I spoke too soon. Now THAT is a result! 💪👏
Thanks man!
Great to see this surface again! Sorry to hear that the saddle wasn’t an Electa, but instead some gel-filled sofa from the looks of it! 🤣

That isn’t too bad a result from the seatpost. You should be able to either get an engineer friend with a lathe to make you a section of post that you can press the Euclid head/clamp into or source a correct DIA post, chop up and bore out or sleeve it to accept the Euclid head.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses 😎👍
Your idea crossed my mind too, but I just had to try to save the original post. 😅
Luckily it worked a treat!

Back