1990? Dave Quinn Nordkapp

Wish I had a lovely vice like that in my shed 😞
Record. Proper bit of kit they are. It’s worth visiting your local car boot sales etc. I’ve seen a few for sale over the years. A couple of years ago whilst cycling I was passing through Redcar. I visited a local boot sale at the racecourse and there was a lovely Record 36 for sale for £30! I’ve spent about half an hour, squatting down beside it, scratching my head, trying to figure out how to get it to London on a fully loaded touring bike, before finally some guy bought it.
I saw you resorted to caustic soda on the Old Dog. I’ve never tried it, but it looks like fun!

So pleased to see this get its own thread. That’s a brilliant outcome with the seatpost. It’s almost like Campagnolo designed it to have a removable head in the event of getting stuck!

After everything else came out without drama, it’s onto the frame…
F4BA4434-0C8A-45F4-85AF-0B01DB66599A.jpeg
Despite looking pretty fresh and healthy from a distance the frame has some signs of aging, as to be expected from being around for over 30 years, albeit mainly standing in a garage. It’s structurally sound and free from dents and scratches, but it has a fair few spots of rust. It isn’t too bad, and I do like a nice patina, but I would like to make sure it won’t spread.
FC97844B-F1C9-4749-A0DC-D255BE21A1D7.jpeg
277A5761-8DF0-4788-A3BE-0D8DAED09D8A.jpeg
I bought a gallon of Evaporust a while ago and it worked great on a rusty Roberts stem and some hardware, so I thought I should try it on Dave. As I don’t have enough to fully submerge the frame in it, I’ve tried the paper towel and cling film method. Here’s a picture of another frame I’ve treated the same way:
DC1112FD-AF93-4D5C-967D-6368B36237D4.jpeg
It did a good job of the one above, but unfortunately Dave’s scars remained the same, which makes me think the rust is under the lacquer. It also dulled the clearcoat a bit as I’ve left the dressing on for a tad too long… Oh well… You live and learn. Time to order another gallon of the stuff and give the frame a nice bath.

Hope the second bath will help with the rust without anymore lacquer damage. I need to get some Evaporust for my (c)rusty Titan 1/2 Trac. Luckily it's just powder coated so pretty robust vs. a sprayed lacquered finish. I probably need to remove the stickers in places (hopefully with just hairdryer/heat gun) so they can be saved as I'm not sure they'll like to be submerged in Evaporust over a long period of time.

Hope the second bath will help with the rust without anymore lacquer damage. I need to get some Evaporust for my (c)rusty Titan 1/2 Trac. Luckily it's just powder coated so pretty robust vs. a sprayed lacquered finish. I probably need to remove the stickers in places (hopefully with just hairdryer/heat gun) so they can be saved as I'm not sure they'll like to be submerged in Evaporust over a long period of time.
Love the 1/2 Trac! Looking forward to seeing more on it.
Evaporust is good stuff. The decals on both frames that I’ve treated with it seem unaffected, but good point as it’s something I’ve not really thought much about. The other frame came up real nice, all of the rust magically disappeared. It turned black, but a bit of gentle scrubbing with fine wire wool soaked in GT85 revealed lovely raw steel.
I might try to plug the bb, tape the vent holes etc and fill the frame. I will report back soon.

Love the 1/2 Trac! Looking forward to seeing more on it.
Evaporust is good stuff. The decals on both frames that I’ve treated with it seem unaffected, but good point as it’s something I’ve not really thought much about. The other frame came up real nice, all of the rust magically disappeared. It turned black, but a bit of gentle scrubbing with fine wire wool soaked in GT85 revealed lovely raw steel.
I might try to plug the bb, tape the vent holes etc and fill the frame. I will report back soon.
Thanks! The 1/2 Trac is a beautiful unusual beast of a frame. Really looking forward to trying to make progress, but lots of other things getting in the way at the moment. :(

The 1/2 Trac also has zero vent holes on the frame. Assume this is a good thing? 🤷‍♂️ Seems unusual for a TIG'd steel frame to have none.

Back