1989 Raleigh Montage

Those Alesa rims with Sachs-Haillard hubs are superb by the way - so rigid rims for the year of the technology - the rims are up on par for what I think compared to Mavic and Ritchey's - fantastico :)

Here's a few dodgy phone-camera pics..

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00660.jpg

More to come...

Hi raleighmontage,

Looking great, love the black forks with the blue, the blue you haved used is more of a baby blue colour - sweet as - I like :)

How does the old cant brakes do - okies ?

I still have the orig set of cants and was thinking of putting them back on ...

Have a good 1st ride on that thing :)

Cheers,

Stephan.

First ride was a moderate success with about 20 miles covered...
Absolutely flies on those tyres, gearing needs some adjustment but i'm damn pleased to get it back.
Riding position is even better than normal with the velocity stem too:)
Paint finish is dissappointing as it's unlacquered, i'm going to touch it in and lacquer it up with some Plasti-coat.

Cantis are doing a good job of slowing the old beast down but I don't think those pads are up to much. I'll give them a while to wear in but I think it needs softer ones.

Going to take it for another blast tomorrow morning, bright and early. Cant get enough of it...

forgot i had one of those! my first mountain bike - bought secondhand and stolen from the shed after about 3weeks!

Raleigh Montage - some queries about mine

I have just bought a Montage and I wanted to compare it to yours.

It has its rear brake (LeeChi 767A Jumbo u-brake) under the chainstay rather than on the seat stay, so it must be a different model.

The frame number on the sticker on the seat tube is 00598927 and on the BB is RA20 JQ. Also the fluted SR Laprade seat stem says J88. How do the frame numbers differ from yours?

The bike looks scarcely used, so much so that I wonder if the new looking tyres are in fact the originals. They are Cheng Shin C616-6, TW8470, only inflatable to 40PSI. These are going because I want to use it as a commuter/tourer not an off-roader. What tyres do people recommend?

I am thinking of changing a few other things: higher, more swept-back bars (I find the seating position too advanced), a Brooks saddle (honey B17 - the Vetta Gel is agony) and a rear rack. (This last seems awkward to fit as there are no braze-ons).

I hope these changes seem like improvements not vandalism. It does seem to be a lovely ride (how much due to the OvalTech chainring?). If your's is 1989, does that make mine older or younger? (Oh, and the horizontal drop-outs have threaded holes to centre a hubgear, which shows the frame's origins). I will post photos soon.

U braked one is 87 or 88. Was the top of the standard Raleigh range when I brought my Maverick GT.

Carl.

Sweet - I had one from 1990; got stolen late '91 but was an ace bike - covered 1000's of miles off & on road with no complaints. Mine was purple tho! It was way lighter than my previous - an italian MTB called 'Cloria' or something.

i picked up an old montage a few years back, been stripping it ever since, has the same u brakes at rear. light green colour.

Back