1989 Orange Formula - pic update

nevadasmith":34go1vhu said:
sinnerman":34go1vhu said:
150...? 0 or 5 degree..?

155mm 0 degree :cool: long and low!

Actually it will work well for me as the frame is possibly a little on the small size in terms of TT length.

It'll be a riden.

Kevin starts work later this month - I hope!

As soon as I have pics I'll post them up.

Looking forward to it mate, as you have probably guessed.
Just dont compromise the handling by fitting a stem thats too long, for the sake of gorgeous looks.

i only asked if you were riding it, as i didnt want the ride spoiled for the sake of looks, it is something i come up against all the time on my builds. but then you know what you are doing, so im sure it will be fine.

looking forward to updates..... :cool:

nevadasmith":6z40wxsj said:
Picked this stem up from eBay - looks like a good candidate for the Formula.

It is fillet brazed, very nicely made.

As advertised it was a Orange 'prototype' but I've never seen a Orange stem with a roller before - they all seem pass to be of the type that pass the cable through the steam vertically.

Anyone got an idea as to it's origin?

Lovely stem, be a little careful riding it though, I had a 150mm stem on my 89 Clockwork and it ruined it's handling capabilities, still you're right though, it'll look awesome on your build, and a white rolls would look primo!

Rich

I'll see what happens to the handling - I still have a nice 130mm 3ttt to use it this one is a bit of a handful!

This is a very different shape to the clockwork - I'll do some comparison pics.

You could get KW to chop an inch or so(!) off of the stem to get your set up right.

I am starting to think about getting the wheels built so I am not caught out in October...

These are the options:

➡️ M7CD with XT hubs. Built. Used but still very tidy.

➡️ MA40 with XT hubs. (NOS) Need building up.

➡️ MA40 with Mavic 'Dakar' hubs. NOS rims, very tidy hubs.

What do you all think?

Kind of tempted by 'plain' XT/MA40 :?

nevadasmith":6umjtk50 said:
I am starting to think about getting the wheels built so I am not caught out in October...

These are the options:

➡️ M7CD with XT hubs. Built. Used but still very tidy.

➡️ MA40 with XT hubs. (NOS) Need building up.

➡️ MA40 with Mavic 'Dakar' hubs. NOS rims, very tidy hubs.

What do you all think?

Kind of tempted by 'plain' XT/MA40 :?

My First thought........how nice it would be to see some nice Dakar hubs.
But then....you said it was going to be a rider, and if like me you give it some when you ride, the Xt might prove a tad more reliable. I have a block on my Zinn, and this season i have been through 3 blocks, and it is becoming a pain in my arse. Im with Gio, Ma40/XT.

Ref the stem.

After seeing your Yeti stem ( rise and reach ). you might find the Fillet stem throws you TOO far out over the front wheel, having Kevin Winters shorten it might not be as daft as it sounds.

If you could offer it up to the frame (and it does turn out to be just that little bit too long), you could adjust it accordingly, and have it re-finished to perfection with the frame and fork, it would be far easier and cheaper to do it now, and you could get the looks and the ride absolutely spot on from the outset.

Hope you dont mind me posting my thoughts, the frame is that special i think it would be worth all the effort.

Adrian, have a close look at this picture for me, and tell me how close this stem is to the one you have....???

If you think it is the same, for GODSAKE dont shorten it, keep it as it is, even if it means not using it for this build.

Attachments

• The STEM, fillet brazed and silver soldered made right here in the UK.JPG
    The STEM, fillet brazed and silver soldered made right here in the UK.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 790
Back