1989 Koga Miyata SkyRunner

Jourian

Retro Guru
Finally found and obtained one! A 1989 Koga Miyata SkyRunner (size 54). After a search of 3 years it is the first one I've encountered. Also on the web I've found only a hand full of pictures from this bike. So I think it is pretty rare model. This Skyrunner is Koga Miyata's first aluminium mountainbike and was top of the line in 1989 along with the Koga Miyata RidgeRunner (the cheetah).

After a 2.5 hour drive (and 2.5 back) the bike appeared to be in the condition as advertised; structurally and mechanically okay, but in used condition. The frame has some markse of use; scratches and chips here and there, but nothing to serious. The bike is still in original 1989 spec for the most (saddle, pedals, tires and some nice Syncros Steerhorns excluded).

Plan is to restore the bike to near original spec. First step is to take the bike apart and clean the parts and frame. Second step is to find some replacements for some parts. The black 180mm M730 cranks are quite damaged, so I'll replace them by some fresh black XT cranks. The Araya RM20 rims were black at some point in the past, however they have turned greyish/silver. Thinking about replacing them by fresh/NOS black rims. Also think that a black Selle Italia Turbo Special will fit nicely.

Pictures below in as obtained condition:
PXL_20240310_144536319.jpg PXL_20240310_144549494.jpg PXL_20240310_144657150.jpg

Very nice and interesting. Yes, it is pretty rare. There are more of the RidgeRunner. I encountered another one (or this one?) on a trail several years ago, but that is what I have seen live. This model was succeeded by other welded aluminium frames, like the '91 and '92 TrailRunner and the (e-stay) RidgeRunners. Next to the welded frames there were the bonded aluminium frames.

Three years younger TrailRunner frame (1992):

39307084905_4c62fd6a6b_c.jpg

Differences that I can spot: I think somewhat larger diameter tubing, monostay, toptube cable routing, canti mounts on the seatstays and the bonded aluminium 'FatMax' forks.
Seatpost 27.0
BB-shell 73mm
Rear spacing 135mm
Headtube 1-1/8

@JCS nothing spectacular. I used some kitchen degreaser, rags and paper towels to get all the dirt off. For the metal parts on the derailleurs and shifters I used Autosol to bring in some shine. The final ingredient is time and a bit of patience ;).

Reactions: JCS
Back