1988 Specialized Rockhopper Sport

Re:

Yes I know Mombat - RIP Jeff Archer. Utterly sad.

It's an odd one then this frame, it's the same colour as an 88 Rockhopper comp. With the same components as an 88 Rockhopper. And stickers that didn't appear for another year at least.

What's the date stamp in the frame number say?

Re: Re:

Augustus":3tuys9ed said:
Yes I know Mombat - RIP Jeff Archer. Utterly sad.

It's an odd one then this frame, it's the same colour as an 88 Rockhopper comp. With the same components as an 88 Rockhopper. And stickers that didn't appear for another year at least.

What's the date stamp in the frame number say?

The serial? GT020922

I have a new theory if you're interested. The bike was purchased in San Jose California, about 20 miles from Specialized's headquarters in Morgan Hill.
I wonder if they didn't dump a few limited runs locally and hence the odd serial.

Well, I think this is an odd / interesting one.

U brake would imply no later than 1988.

I'm wondering if it's either some sort of factory prototype or staff test special or a 1987 Stumpjumper with 1990 decals?

Either way it has different decals to the rest if the 88 range. All be it only slightly different.

Here's the 87 stumpy…

viewtopic.php?t=13130

Re:

Right, I've asked a pal at Spesh in Morgan Hill. Let's see if they can shed some light. I want to know now.

G

It's been a long time, but If memory serves the shop was on San Carlos. That may ring a bell with someone.

Re:

You're going to love this, lol. I found an ad. 14.5 has a U-Brake.
1990 Model for I guess Germany.
So I have a sample? Mine didn't come with those wheels, but everything else looks right.

Attachments

• 1990 RockHopper Sport.JPG
    1990 RockHopper Sport.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 625
Back