1988 Specialized Hard Rock freebie with big grin factor!!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I'm sure many of you will know what I mean when I say my retro mojo had been lost for a while. In fighting on here, a general lack of time to ever get out on a bike, two house moves in quick succession....so when this came up on here, karma if collected, and it was local...I chose to ignore it for a while! :LOL:

In truth I had hardly been on the site, so I kind of felt it was meant to be that I owned it as it had appeared in one of my very few forum visits. Thanks beyond words to Jason (Cookie Monster) for his quiet generosity and enthusiasm that it should go to a good home. In truth, it's a little too big for me, but as I'll only be really using it for rides out on the level and the local canal path, I'm choosing to ignore the size. (Actually with the typical Spesh short top tube and bearing in mind the way they sized bikes back then...I remember my first ever MTB, a Dawes Jackal, was probably a lot bigger than this!)

I love this bike. It rides like an absolute dream, quiet and very steady, no twitchy head angles here! Can't get over the fact it's a 30 year old bike. The first pic is as Jason got the bike when he first had it, when I picked it up very little was changed. The rear mech and a couple of other bits were out of sync with the era so I changed them but didn't worry about authenticity! Today I happened across the saddle and blue chain ring at the local cycle charity/recycle place, so had to have them! The tyres were perishing on the side walls so I put my spare Conti's on, cut down a spare seat post to fit, fiddled for hours with the front brake (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=386138 :LOL: ), by comparison putting a longer cable on the back U brake was a doddle! Had to accommodate the new higher rise bars so that meant lengthening cable inner/outers. But the headset and BB etc were all freshly greased and pretty damn near spot on.

Over time, it needs better pedals and probably a better rear wheel. The original one is fine but very heavy, the front I swapped out for an XT on F519 I had lying around...so, not exactly a beautiful authentic '88 restoration, but a fun hack, and I've got my mojo back :p

I'd forgotten, by the way, how, erm....spoiled I'd been for the last 20 years by the efficiency of V brakes.

Attachments

• P1130677.JPG
    P1130677.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 618
  • P1130678.JPG
    P1130678.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 617
  • P1130676.JPG
    P1130676.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 616
  • P1130684.JPG
    P1130684.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 616
  • P1130672.JPG
    P1130672.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 617
  • P1130683.JPG
    P1130683.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 616
  • P1130682.JPG
    P1130682.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 617
  • AS2.jpg
    AS2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 619
Re:

It is really nice. In fact that was my first "proper" mountain bike.

Still prefer Stumpjumpers though....

Re:

:LOL:

Why, thank you, kind sir....

Just going to polish my Rockhopper frame now, would still love to own a Stumpjumper myself.

Picked up a nice one last summer

FHI1svNKKB8hnJPZeoBojavKddnB_YadUtJXDT3SFMCRKXmQkdPHI4uoGWDeeq0HqknTtBjqL-VS-pRkzm7SdKjsWu0OMxnxUaKnnM_Oo6sk3uv9Wg73grHmtH-LSJhR9f6Fd3YfLwtNcXT5FanhW_R9KttSfkxgDO-6p1roZu6xYKxHiPtmA7QbtXVxqvk6Ar4M8e6-J1dGKbOssTyinKCWB4O-zYr278E1yAHqijrXx44cZkX-ORy7UFrQ3mD1Au6INEIrIwW0AX7a-wMOo-QX2H9qT2FJSAi8rpunUnnod7s7ih2ONVTjvB3BRTOvXophWBNU1fjv76Xnfdlxt5ilFgpGppWTr6OcslrYMBqe_aBkzasG8AqXi8RgbZtAn9qu8DdDLs3EoI9wd2LEuL5YFGPaAfA-7_-Ba4evg-BWWKwhQHRxxpZ3rt5Pq06ZS_e_q577nCa75OXRc4aP9ZipIo4-0X61kJ1g6COjWGCn8cUMxaOAJBC_Dg3joYDWkzw59kwaJ3xApazvROwToIZWjO7WkG2X352_XHrUinrgvWlPd6l9-CEeJrQ=s1010-w1010-h568-no

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=372610&start=10

Re:

Specialized don’t get a lot of love but I think they are great. Nice hard rock. About as much bike as any of us reall6 need

Re:

Looking sweet.
I can't take any credit for the good condition as all it did was gather dust in the deluxe cave...aka garage!
I have an 89ish stumpy also, and to be honest this felt very similar despite the lower spec.
I know we all crave the exotica, but in reality most of us cut our MTB teeth on low end bikes, and they're all a bit over shadowed by big budget unicorns IMO.
Malverns retro display had some
real mid range gems tucked in, but too much concours de elegance for my liking. Remember this is just my personal feeling...so please dont be too harsh!!

Re:

It takes me right back Jason, makes me think of my Dawes Jackal. Mind you, that was a lugged 501 frame, much heavier than this!

It's a different pace, and so comfy to ride. It's a bit like when I used to have a 70's Mini and an XR3i, whichever one you were driving, you put a different hat on, you knew one had no brakes without an appointment, the other (for the time) was frighteningly quick and powerful.

Guess which one had me grinning from ear to ear every weekend though.... :LOL:

Re:

Exactly! Fast forward a few decades and your getting your kicks from a steel bike...that has probably still got better performing brakes than the Mini!!

Back