1988 Saracen Tufftrax

Thanks for the PC tip EasyRider!

I did try to source original decals but these seemed to be as rare as rocking horse stuff! Cost of original copies didn't seem worth it considering my objective - quality bike at dirt cheap price (cheapskate!)

Mind you, if anyone knows where I can get a genuine Saracen headstock decal I'd be grateful - the union jack is patriotic but looks a bit naff! Might just remove all decals and go naked (oo-er missus!)

U-Braked (almost) perfection. Only change I'd make is to dump the V brake and fit a canti to the front.

Lovely looking bike that one.

I know that Dead Rats has also had some of the mid to late 80's style Saracen decals made up recently. I don't think he had the more complicated head badge made though due to the additional expense.

As Pickle says; it needs a wide profile canti brake on the front to make it really lovely.

Nice to see my old one now has a twin.

Damn I miss it, but I'm glad its gone to a good home ;)

dscn2423_213.jpg

Pickle":1crbtgmz said:
Certainly clean.

Get a canti on the front and a proper handlebar though please.

I think I may have the correct wide profile XT canti in the man cave somewhere.

Thanks for feedback guys - I aim to fit better bars and canti's soon. Just need to source decals (must be inexpensive though as overall cost so far has been minimal). This is a second bike really, my favourite is still the 1987 Tufftrax purchased from Pickle last year.

I'm also about to embark on my next project - a Raleigh M-Trax road bike (everything works and it rides really well and is very quick but paintjob is naff - seems to have a peeling plastic coating on frame rather than lacquer!). Won't be using original paint scheme as I fancy something different (I'm not a purist)! Will post on "Road" section of site when re-built.

Cheers,

Keith

Looks great and in good shape too, The Saracen super tough powdercoat lives up to its name :cool:

makster":ldpjmc73 said:
May be worth talking to Gravymonster about decals as he's restoring an 88' Saracen at the moment ;)

Indeed :LOL: I am going to get decals reproduced from my 89 Trekker, If you have pictures of the ones you want reproducing let me know and I will put you in touch with the guys that are doing mine.

Cheers

GM

drystonepaul":1fixuy5v said:
Lovely looking bike that one.

I know that Dead Rats has also had some of the mid to late 80's style Saracen decals made up recently. I don't think he had the more complicated head badge made though due to the additional expense.

As Pickle says; it needs a wide profile canti brake on the front to make it really lovely.

I did, the one I had is the mid-'80s logo for the downtube - not sure if your bike is too late for it, member 'Gil M' did it for me so you could contact him as he'll have it on file. And no, I couldn't afford the headbadge at the time though I have a nice image of it should I decide to go for it at a later date! :roll: :LOL: The classic late '80s-mid '90s Saracen logo is hard to find on eBay and I considered using the current one for my '97 Kili but agree it's a bit naff so Gil also did me a full set for the later bike... but I'm saving that for post next paintjob ;)

Back