1988 MB1 in natural habitat

mattr":3nqy82cj said:
Yup, we call them road bikes.

Or cross at a push.

;)

So this yeti on the cover of MBA is actually a road bike? Weird, I remember we called this a mountain bike back then, byutmy memory is a little fuzzy from that long ago. ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 318
Re:

Here's my 100% original 89. Fork isn't a Koski though - I guess the spec was changed for different markets or part way through the year :?

singletrackmac":2bvvoocu said:
So this yeti on the cover of MBA is actually a road bike? Weird, I remember we called this a mountain bike back then, byutmy memory is a little fuzzy from that long ago. ;)
Hmmmm, so something Tomac did for a few races during the high points of the road season, just to replicate his road position, is something we should all aspire to?
Nah. Maybe not.

Nothing to do with what you should or should not aspire to, just pointing out that back then just because it had drops didn't make it not a mountain bike. Sure, today we would call a bike that came with drops a cross or road bike, but back then we called these mountain bikes and this is a site is all about back then. ;)

Re: Re:

raidan73":7ehgmjbb said:
Here's my 100% original 89. Fork isn't a Koski though - I guess the spec was changed for different markets or part way through the year :?

Nice :D

I wonder what fork is on it. It doesn't look like a fork from the '88. Maybe it has the '90 spec fork?

mattr":2xaz8bg2 said:
singletrackmac":2xaz8bg2 said:
Hmmmm, so something Tomac did for a few races during the high points of the road season, just to replicate his road position, is something we should all aspire to?
Nah. Maybe not.

Aspire to, no, but just because you weren't aware what was happening at the time does not mean it didn't. Drop bar MTBs have been popular in the States since the early 80s and there are plenty who still run them, Tomac included, but not exclusively.

At the risk of blowing your mind: you can also use a Road bike with a flat bar.

raidan73":2xaz8bg2 said:

Awesome, remember me if it ever needs to go!

Mine has Spinner dropouts and rack mounts mid way down the leg

Rod_Saetan":3hw3hhpm said:
Awesome, remember me if it ever needs to go!

Noted Roly ;)

Back