1988/89 part lugged, part fillet-brazed Raleigh frame

I stripped a little more paint this morning:

Paintstripping (5).JPG
Paintstripping (6).JPG

It looks very much like the original paint was an orange-yellow-blue fade.

Another search online and I found ...

Raleigh-Ozark-frame-and-forks.jpg

This photo was labelled as an Ozark and originally an Ebay listing, for which the original photos are unfortunately no longer available. This is strong evidence it was probably originally an Ozark. If anyone can find some better quality photos of this paint scheme Ozatk I would be grateful!

The remaining discrepancies?
* The orange in that picture looks quite "tangerine" but the orange on mine looks very fluorescent (especially inside the BB shell). This could easily be due to the change over time of the Ebay one and representation of colour in the photo not being 100% (though fluoro usually fades rather than deepens).
* My frame looks like it faded to blue, rather than white. This could have been part of a later colour scheme, especially if they kept some of the original paint after the modification and just reapinted the top section. Poosibly could also be cause by some breakdown of white paint?
* The fork is different. Mine has Gipiemme dropouts and no rack mount. I've stripped enough paint from the fork to see it has the same original paint scheme, suggesting it was original to the frame. I guess this would just be due to some variation in what forks Raleigh had available.
* No rear rack mounts - I assume these were removed when the frame was modified. Again, there could also have been some variation - the 1989 catalogue shows rack mounts on the Avanti, but examples do not all have them (see blow).
* The paint in the 1989 catalogue is the more common red-white fade. I haven't found this one in a catalogue.

Additional supporting evidence
* The Avanti was full 531 ATB but the Ozark was 531 main tubes. I think the seat stays on mine look more like the Ozark above than the more slender ones found on the Avanti:

Raleigh Avanti 1989 screenshot.png
(note no rack mounts)
* The headset fitted when it came into my ownership is a Tange Unique "Loose Proof" ... which is listed as the spec for the Ozark in the catalogue (Avanti XT II and Appalachian Deore II)

Overall, fairly confident it was an Ozark that was then modified.

Next step, get a couple of seatposts from storage to check whether it is 27.0 mm or 27.2 mm, then build it up and see whether there's any way of creating a ride position that will work for me or whether it is insurmountably small.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 13-33-06 Raleigh Avanti 1989.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 13-33-06 Raleigh Avanti 1989.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Frankenfu*k it even more?! 700c forks. 700C wheels. Fit a regular brake on the brace above the rear wheel with cable clips for the cable? Leave (or grind off) the U-brake bosses? I can't quite visualise it but with a 700C wheel perhaps cantis might work on the u-brake mount? My Orange P7 took 700C wheels beautifully (no rear brake mind but could have had a rear disc). Put those bullhorns on with some slick 25/28 tyres....close-ratio 7 spd block....lairy paint-job....but then you'd have to move it to another section of RB!

Frankenfu*k it even more?! 700c forks. 700C wheels. Fit a regular brake on the brace above the rear wheel with cable clips for the cable? Leave (or grind off) the U-brake bosses? I can't quite visualise it but with a 700C wheel perhaps cantis might work on the u-brake mount? My Orange P7 took 700C wheels beautifully (no rear brake mind but could have had a rear disc). Put those bullhorns on with some slick 25/28 tyres....close-ratio 7 spd block....lairy paint-job....but then you'd have to move it to another section of RB!

I'm definitely up for plaing around with a build that's slightly ... eccentric to get it working for me. At the moment, I'm testing to see whether there's any way to make it big enough, really. I did realise today that the seat tube is 1.5" shorter than my single speed ..... which has a 400mm seatpost set at the minimum insertion mark.

So. I love this. I would even keep the paint like that and wax it, put some mx bars on there. Very nice. Make a proper Frankenstein ratty looking destroyer of worlds. Yes.

Thank you. It won't be staying as it is, because all those parts need to go back to the Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, so it can go to its new home. Conveniently, those parts could all go straight on to this frame just for a quick test of size. The seatpost will stay - it's a U.S.E. one I bought because it was a bargain, even though at that point I didn't have any 27.2 frames ... so it was meant to be.

I need the bars a bit futher forward. That stem has too little rise and the bars are quite swept back, so I'll think about that. I am tempted to use bullhorns on it, but that then limits my choice of stem to those with removeable faceplates.

I'm not sure about the paint ... I have a few ideas about new schemes, but a way of showing off the fillet brazing does appeal.

I'd drop the saddle get some high handlebars and have it more like a cruiser.

Back