1987 Mantis X/Valkyrie

Prodigal Son":xooc33o0 said:
I am being picky... but that king headset is not as period correct as the rest of the build.
From the thickness of the cups it's an early Chris King model, so aligned with the bike that I guess was made in between 1987-1989....

Re:

Is it crazy that I love this so much

I wonder how close to my favourite frames it would look minus the X bracing

Always fancied a mantis but suspect it will remain a pipedream

Re:

I notice now that on you have fitted a anti-chainsuck device... my X-frame doesn't have this feauture. Interesting thing..

Re:

Just stunning. I’m not usually one for unnecessary repaints but it looks so much better now.

Re: Re:

FlyingV":3h1hhtev said:
I notice now that on you have fitted a anti-chainsuck device... my X-frame doesn't have this feauture. Interesting thing..

It had brazeons for a chain anti-suck plate already. Alse it has a pulley for the front derailleur routing and a nice little curved cable guide for the cable. I've not seen either of these features on any other X, mostly only on the elevated frames. Though this is a very early X, which makes it interesting. The location of the rear brake cable stop on the top tube is closer to the prototype (which was in the middle) than the other Xs I've seen.

Re: Re:

mkozaczek":1uuneecu said:
FlyingV":1uuneecu said:

It had brazeons for a chain anti-suck plate already. Alse it has a pulley for the front derailleur routing and a nice little curved cable guide for the cable. I've not seen either of these features on any other X, mostly only on the elevated frames. Though this is a very early X, which makes it interesting. The location of the rear brake cable stop on the top tube is closer to the prototype (which was in the middle) than the other Xs I've seen.
Very interesting. Also the unfiled shape of the crossing tubes in way of steerer tube Is similar to that one of the X-frame proto...

I can’t say everything that I like about this bike otherwise the list will be as long as the Amazon river! But anyway the paintwork is great, love the red and white splatter with the red line, forks and of course the bottle cages are just the best, just finishes it off brilliantly.

Every part matches each other so well I can’t even dream of what it’s like to ride. Must be very robust.

I know it’s not the original paintwork but I like to imagine the person who designed this frame came up with a list of frame designs and then crossed it out with red pen and thought, “well that could work!”

Got my vote and glad to see it ridden! I thought there couldn’t be a bike that topped off my ex favourite but then this shows up! Amazing.

Back