1987 Cameron Rebuild & Wiki - A Wee Face Lift

Re: 1987-88 Cameron Rebuild & Wiki: Unknown CDN MTB "ITS ALIVE!"

Thanks folks :)

I gotta get those spesh tires off. Harvey probably wouldn't like them on his bike. I have a few smoke and dart classics in stock.

It's a smallish 18" but the lift from the RS-1s makes it fit me dang near perfect with the 150mm Syncros stem.

I haven't seen too many bikes the RS-1s actually look good on. This one seems to suit it. The fork was from Hotwheels on here. I was happy to see that bonti paw on it when it arrived. She's still holding air!

I have lucked into so many nice groups. This xt730 one is near mint.

Gotta think about putting the cameron name on the down tube. I've got mixed info on if he really early ones had it.

This one will stopped a lot on the local trails. Harv Cameron is really well loved around here and appreciated.

Re:

The guy who introduced MTB's to my brother and his mates went travelling in Canada the second time he went he was working at Cyclogic. He returned to England with a Canadian, they both brought FS Cameron's as per the above MBA with them. They both had Lawill Leaders on and Syncros kit, one had XT the other DX. I'm not sure what happened to the bikes as both got sold to locals. I think was about 93 possibly 94.

Re: Re:

Feel no Pain":1uwpm11l said:
The guy who introduced MTB's to my brother and his mates went travelling in Canada the second time he went he was working at Cyclogic. He returned to England with a Canadian, they both brought FS Cameron's as per the above MBA with them. They both had Lawill Leaders on and Syncros kit, one had XT the other DX. I'm not sure what happened to the bikes as both got sold to locals. I think was about 93 possibly 94.

That's really cool. I wonder what happened to those. I'm still looking for more frames over here. Nothing yet.

Re: Harvey C

Hi all,
First post here, I found the site while looking up a replacement seat post for my Pro Floater.
I had been over to Harvey's house a few times, he lived around the corner from me. I knew John and the guys at CycleLogic, I'd been hanging out at the shop for a couple of years in the early 90's before buying an early Mantis ProFloater from John with a Girvin Vector front end. It is a great bike but the guys at the shop and I all knew it had some problems outside of the limited steerer tube, brake flex etc. The Girvin was in a single word, horrible. The mechanic at the shop ( the little hardcore guy), constantly was snapping the stems off them and personally I hated the feeling when doing drop offs; the geometry changed and you felt like you were always going over the bars.
I blew out the original Noleen rear shock and replaced it with an Olins. Harvey modified the frame a bit to make it all fit. Another week point we found was that the swingers used bushings instead of bearings, hence one of the factors of the sloppiness at the back.
I spoke to Harvey quite a few times about his FS bike and making one tailored for me. However around that time CL went out of business and I bought a couple of Whiskeytown Racers. I was fully biked out.
Shame I never got around to getting one though, the guys at CL called them bombproof; strengthened in all the places where the Mantis could possibly break.
Its an even bigger shame he is no longer with us. I wonder where his jig table ended up?
Rob

Re: Harvey C

DVPmincer":1l9yuvw8 said:
Hi all,
First post here, I found the site while looking up a replacement seat post for my Pro Floater.
I had been over to Harvey's house a few times, he lived around the corner from me. I knew John and the guys at CycleLogic, I'd been hanging out at the shop for a couple of years in the early 90's before buying an early Mantis ProFloater from John with a Girvin Vector front end. It is a great bike but the guys at the shop and I all knew it had some problems outside of the limited steerer tube, brake flex etc. The Girvin was in a single word, horrible. The mechanic at the shop ( the little hardcore guy), constantly was snapping the stems off them and personally I hated the feeling when doing drop offs; the geometry changed and you felt like you were always going over the bars.
I blew out the original Noleen rear shock and replaced it with an Olins. Harvey modified the frame a bit to make it all fit. Another week point we found was that the swingers used bushings instead of bearings, hence one of the factors of the sloppiness at the back.
I spoke to Harvey quite a few times about his FS bike and making one tailored for me. However around that time CL went out of business and I bought a couple of Whiskeytown Racers. I was fully biked out.
Shame I never got around to getting one though, the guys at CL called them bombproof; strengthened in all the places where the Mantis could possibly break.
Its an even bigger shame he is no longer with us. I wonder where his jig table ended up?
Rob

Thanks for adding this. Hopefully this build draws out a few more of the Toronto riders from the 80s and 90s to reminisce.

John has one of Harvey's odd ball full suspension road frames. I was told a lot went to Tony Beeks. Beeks and Cameron were close. I know one of Cameron's jigs ended up at Mariposa where it still is, but I am pretty sure there were 3-4 made and I have no idea what happened to Harvey's actual jig.

cool story - beautiful frame!

k-rod":1hwzocgv said:
cool story - beautiful frame!

Thanks ... its really neat.

I forgot I had Gil do a decal set for me. A big thanks for that as I doubt he will sell many of these :LOL:

The bike is done ... I just want to tidy up the caps on the cables a bit to make it perfect (two don't match ... can have that!).

Attachments

• cameron.JPG
    cameron.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,142
Back