1985 Gios Professional neoretro project *finished page 6*

Re: 1985 Gios Professional

AndyMart":1iob8tm9 said:
Are you planning on keeping the DT shifters? I like the mix of old and new you've got planned these bikes need to be ridden!

Hi Andy,

I do intend to keep the dt shifters & use them on friction to enable the use of a 10 speed cassette.

I also want to fit some modern dual pivot brakes.

A 1985 Gios frame is a rare piece! So changing it or dismantling parts, like the DT shifter-base, is not wise. The originality is the Key to its worth, not original = scrap metal.
For building up a hybrid bike with Steel frame And modern Equipment with changing mounts, races, bearings or threads a bike formerly sold at Cash And Carry markets is more equivalent

Giosgremlin":25k1e757 said:
A 1985 Gios frame is a rare piece! So changing it or dismantling parts, like the DT shifter-base, is not wise. The originality is the Key to its worth, not original = scrap metal.
For building up a hybrid bike with Steel frame And modern Equipment with changing mounts, races, bearings or threads a bike formerly sold at Cash And Carry markets is more equivalent

In your opinion.

I wanted a nice steel frame with modern parts on it. So that is exactly what I am doing.

If I were concerned about the monetary value of it I wouldn't be building it to be a reliable daily rider, I would be building it as a museum piece which in my mind is pointless.

My bikes are reliable daily riders And I use them like that. No wall-queens or museum pieces.

A frame from one of the top five framebuilders, a handmade piece of art And style simply looks freak with Disk breaks or a threadless headset/stem mounted aso.

That does not exclude modern or exotic groups.

Giosgremlin":2gw8xdho said:
My bikes are reliable daily riders And I use them like that. No wall-queens or museum pieces.

A frame from one of the top five framebuilders, a handmade piece of art And style simply looks freak with Disk breaks or a threadless headset/stem mounted aso.

That does not exclude modern or exotic groups.

But I'm not doing that.

I'm purely running modern wheels with 10 speed (keeping the original dura ace 7400 inc dt shifters) & fitting modern dual pivot calipers (campag or shimano).

Panto quill stem etc... is all staying.

Do 6/7 speed rings play nice with 10 speed chains? I'd like to do something similar with one of my Raleighs, a wide range of gears is a good thing.

AndyMart":14o1x69e said:
Do 6/7 speed rings play nice with 10 speed chains? I'd like to do something similar with one of my Raleighs, a wide range of gears is a good thing.

Aparently so. I'll be able to tell you in a couple of days ;)

Re: Re:

Giosgremlin":3af9tbjm said:
Yeah, that was all, I tried to mention. Keep on going ;)

Don't worry it is going to be very sympathetic to the original build. I love the neoretro build idea with old skool class with a modern twist.

The frame will be painted in an original colour scheme (probably black or white) with the chrome fork. The only thing I may change are the bars, I don't find the 80s style drop very comfortable so I may go for a compact type bar instead.

Edit - After seeing this (viewtopic.php?t=150248) maybe blue is a contender also.

New wheels :)

New wheels on, I need to tweek the headset & sort the seat angle out. The bars will have to be swapped for a modern compact shape as I can't get used to the drop to the levers.

Back