1985 Gios Professional neoretro project *finished page 6*

Re: 1985 Gios Professional

The tin foil trick always works a treat when it's first stages rust spots and those forks have come up very nicely. I think black would look marvelous with a DA group. As for the seat post, there's various stages. First one I try is to soaking the area around the post with something like plusgas. This may mean removing the BB, hanging the frame upside down and then soaking with product for 48 hours. If that doesn't work then your heading down the road of brute force / cutting it out / caustic soda - the latter two I've never needed to do but there's quite a few threads on the forum from folks who have had all sorts of hassle with stuck seat posts. Good look with the bike, always interesting to see how these projects turn out.

Re: Re:

I'm going to strip it and have it painted over winter,

Oh please hold on! The fork is chromed throughout these frames and a Kind of characteristic feature of the Gios frames. Exeptions are the later Super Record (79-84+) and later Compact models(90+). So please think twice!!

Giosgremlin":fjus45hc said:
I'm going to strip it and have it painted over winter,

Oh please hold on! The fork is chromed throughout these frames and a Kind of characteristic feature of the Gios frames. Exeptions are the later Super Record (79-84+) and later Compact models(90+). So please think twice!!

Sorry, I didn't mean the fork. The chrome fork is a feature for me. The frame will be stripped and sprayed black & fitted with correct decals (I need to find a reputable supplier).

A very good Shop for decals is gts753 which is an eBay Dealer from down under. He got very very good replicas of Gios decals. A lot of Gios enthusiasts give him the best Reputation. Please make a Research regarding the right colour option for a black frame, sometimes the decals differ regarding to the colour of the frame.

Giosgremlin":11xsujys said:
A very good Shop for decals is gts753 which is an eBay Dealer from down under. He got very very good replicas of Gios decals. A lot of Gios enthusiasts give him the best Reputation. Please make a Research regarding the right colour option for a black frame, sometimes the decals differ regarding to the colour of the frame.

I will indeed, I'm fairly sure that the decals should be a white band with black text on the black frames, however I have seen a blue band also.

Re:

I have replaced the bar tape with some black cork tape today.

It is now going to be ridden until I decide to strip it down to repaint the frame in the correct colour scheme.

Re:

A small update.

I have now purchased the replacement wheels (mavic aksium with campag freehub) This gives me the option of going full campy in the future should I decide to.

I will space the frame to suit the wider 130mm hub & plan to get the frame stripped next month ready for its new/original guise.

Re:

Make it wider? Why dont you Match the rear hub to 126 mm reach of the dropouts? Bending the frame is not the smartest Option.

Giosgremlin":3soum9gp said:
Make it wider? Why dont you Match the rear hub to 126 mm reach of the dropouts? Bending the frame is not the smartest Option.

Because I intend on running 10 speed rather than the 7 speed that it is spaced for.

I have spaced plenty of steel frames out, it's only 2.5mm each side (which to be honest can be done by hand).

Are you planning on keeping the DT shifters? I like the mix of old and new you've got planned these bikes need to be ridden!

Back